• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Great Brexit Healthcare disaster

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Otherwise I get the impression the NHS tried to negotiate with its huge buying power but made a tulip job of it.
    The MOD does the same. Could not negotiate their way out of a roundabout. Pants pulled down at every opportunity.

Row row row your boat gently down the stream, belts off trousers down isn't life a scream?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

The £350 million/week EU figure is gross (in more ways than one).
      Let's talk about the net figure of £175 million/week
      Per year that is: £9 billion.

You are talking about the increase in the cost of supplies to the NHS caused by the depreciation in the value of the pound. Let's say that depreciation is 20%
      This means that the amount that the above £9 billion would have to compensate to cover this is £9 billion/20% = £45 billion.
      The NHS annual budget is around £116 billion, so the above figure is around 38% of that.

This means that if the percentage of NHS annual spend on items from overseas is around 38% of its annual budget, then these increases in cost will be covered by the gain to the UK government by leaving the EU. I think this is a reasonable percentage.

Now, let me get started on the benefits of leaving the EU, such as the large gain in UK taxation and GDP growth due to overseas customers purchasing British goods and services, that have just become 20% cheaper to them.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post

Now, let me get started on the benefits of leaving the EU, such as the large gain in UK taxation and GDP growth due to overseas customers purchasing British goods and services, that have just become 20% cheaper to them.

I love a comedian.
        What British goods? Name one British made/owned item in your house.
        Then count the non-British items.

Here's a quick inventory in my house:

German: cooker, dishwasher, dryer, vacuum cleaner, car
        Korean: 3/4 TVs, washing machine, fridge
        Chinese: Lenovo Thinkpad and no doubt lots of little things like kettles toasters etc.
        American: Apple ipad, imac
        Engish: Vacuum cleaner (Dyson) unused due to being sh1te.
        Last edited by sasguru; 6 February 2017, 13:55.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

JHC on a bike. I really do hate agreeing with SAS, butt FFS.....massive increase in people from overseas buying British goods ????? Was that actually meant to be a joke ???
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Next work out what happens to the tax take if the UK's biggest industry and earner, the City, which contributes about 30% of UKP tax take, gets culled.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
              JHC on a bike. I really do hate agreeing with SAS, butt FFS.....massive increase in people from overseas buying British goods ????? Was that actually meant to be a joke ???
              Sadly I'm guessing not. It's a terrible refelection on the Uk's education system. He doesn't even realise that cross border supply chains are so complex and ubiqitious nowadays that assembling a Qashqai in Sunderland will involve importing now more expensive sub-assemblies so that the final cost of the assembled product is no lower.
              It's the simple mindedness of assuming that Britain has all the raw material to make everything it needs. FFS.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

I guess we'll need to wait until the first UK assembled 40 inch flat screen TV hits the shops at about £1200 before anyone notices :-)
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

I love a comedian.
                  What British goods? Name one British made/owned item in your house.
                  Then count the non-British items.

Here's a quick inventory in my house:

German: cooker, dishwasher, dryer, vacuum cleaner, car
                  Korean: 3/4 TVs, washing machine, fridge
                  Chinese: Lenovo Thinkpad and no doubt lots of little things like kettles toasters etc.
                  American: Apple ipad, imac
                  Engish: Vacuum cleaner (Dyson) unused due to being sh1te.
                  Where was your Aygo made?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Next work out what happens to the tax take if the UK's biggest industry and earner, the City, which contributes about 30% of UKP tax take, gets culled.
                    The city is on the way out due to offshoring.

Comment

It is easy to forget that a lot of the cross border stuff coming into the UK is already coming in on WTO terms. So tulip coming in from China on WTO terms today will still be tulip coming in from China on WTO terms after Brexit. So it isn't as if the EU is a panacea of WTO free trade.

It is rediculously unlikely that a free trade area with zero tariffs between the UK and the EU will not exist once the UK leaves the EU. For all the public rhetoric on both sides, you can be sure that the worst case scenarios will never materialise. It'll have to look like we've left, but there's a lot of bluster going on too.

This is politics after all.
                      Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Working...
                      X