• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

India freaks out over U.S. plans to change high-skilled visas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    I'd rather scrap free trade with India and keep more IT jobs with British workers who pay tax in this country.
    Yes me too, but it isn't us who will be benefiting personally from having that trade deal done.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Yes me too, but it isn't us who will be benefiting personally from having that trade deal done.
      How much of the money paid to contractors and consultancies in the banking industry leaves the country with absolute minimal or no tax at all paid on it? I'd wager far more now than if you scrapped the trade deal. Throw in the ancillary spend of more UK contractors spending in the UK and you're seeing the wealth spread within the UK. Multiply that up across other areas and industries within the UK and it would, imho, make a significant difference to our standards of living; far more than the trade deal with India would.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I'd rather scrap free trade with India and keep more IT jobs with British workers who pay tax in this country.
        So free trade with the EU is about to be scrapped, the US will scrap free trade with everyone else and we shouldn't trade with the fastest growing economy in the world.
        Where are these IT jobs coming from, if not from the open economy you want to close?
        I can't think of a single world class British software or services company, can you?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

. Throw in the ancillary spend of more UK contractors spending in the UK and you're seeing the wealth spread within the UK. Multiply that up across other areas and industries within the UK and it would, imho, make a significant difference to our standards of living; far more than the trade deal with India would.
          That would be true if the UK economy was stronger than it is. It isn't.
          British prosperity is based on the "kindness of strangers" as Mark Carney said, not least in buying the gilts (debt) that fund our standard of living.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            So free trade with the EU is about to be scrapped, the US will scrap free trade with everyone else and we shouldn't trade with the fastest growing economy in the world.
            Where are these IT jobs coming from, if not from the open economy you want to close?
            I can't think of a single world class British software or services company, can you?

Sage, Northgate and Sophos straight off the top of my head. Probably more out there. Alterian, Invensys, MicroFocus. Too busy laughing at your ignorance to carry on. guru my ass!
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Sage, Northgate and Sophos straight off the top of my head. Probably more out there. Alterian, Invensys, MicroFocus. Too busy laughing at your ignorance to carry on. guru my ass!
              Oh FFS, yet again another Brexiter sh!te with numbers.

Sage 1 billion turnover
              Sophos 0.5 billion
              Alterian 38 million

Google 75 billion
              Amazon 107 billion
              Microsoft 85 billion

Even the Germans have SAP, 26 billion

I said world class, not supporting a few 100 employees in the arse end of Bumshire.
              Last edited by sasguru; 1 February 2017, 16:10.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                Guess where will the body shopping companies send their 'export' to now,
                as in US they will have to pay a min. salary of USD130K

PS: we are doomed
                Canada.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

Even the Germans have SAP, 26 billion
                  Yeah but you could say that about most EU countries.

The Germans have SAP true, don't know another German one though. As for the French, Italians, Dutch and so on - they are just as bad as us.

You shouldn't look down on "small" ( in a global sense ) UK companies. They are still good, viable businesses. And there are plenty UK software companies in that small to medium sized bracket providing good jobs.

Aveva is one that springs to mind.

So the big "Internet Companies" are Amazon, Facebook, Google - name a single big European one ( including the UK ). It's not just a weakness of the UK, but a weakness of Europe as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                    Yeah but you could say that about most EU countries.

The Germans have SAP true, don't know another German one though. As for the French, Italians, Dutch and so on - they are just as bad as us.

You shouldn't look down on "small" ( in a global sense ) UK companies. They are still good, viable businesses. And there are plenty UK software companies in that small to medium sized bracket providing good jobs.

Aveva is one that springs to mind.

So the big "Internet Companies" are Amazon, Facebook, Google - name a single big European one ( including the UK ). It's not just a weakness of the UK, but a weakness of Europe as a whole.
                    I agree with that, my point is that these British small companies can't provide all the IT jobs that we need, should the large multinationals move.
                    (and not just software multinationals, there's lots of IT jobs in banks and pharma, the (only?) 2 great British success stories)

As an aside I've worked for some small British start-ups that were truly world class, in technology, if not in size, but the British way is to cash in and flog the company to a large foreign co. asap. before it becomes big.
                    Not that I'm complaining, my shares in one of these when cashed, while it did not make me a millionaire then, allowed me to buy a modest house for cash years ago.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
                      A cynical person might think this is the real reason why Silicon Valley hates Trump.
                      Indian startups will be happy. Right not they are finding it hard to recruit the people they need because most everybody would rather make a career in Wipro, Tata etc to get an opportunity to move abroad.

Comment

Working...
                      X