• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sky poll demonstrates support for leaving the single market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    The responses were weighted according to age & demographics.
    Tech savvy old people probably are going to give a different answer to non-tech savvy old people. But the latter group will be off the pollsters radar especially if they are bedridden or ill for any reason.

How do you poll farmers and others living in rural locations? They have slow internet and problems with mobile signals so won't answer those polls even if they have the time.

In short the pollsters tend to ask people like me - living in urban areas with access to good internet and mobile signals plus will answer them if they come door knocking - than incorrectly extrapolate it to the rest of the population.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Part of the issue is they ignore information that gives them the opposite answer to what they think.
    Yes, as you said, Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    So in other words, you cannot conceive of ANY sample of the populace that might realistically be deemed to be truly representative?

Remember the polling companies got it wrong.

Part of the issue is they ignore information that gives them the opposite answer to what they think.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    The Brexiters want Brexit because they don't want to be governed by the EU
    Thought I'd help you out with this as you seemed to be struggling.

For the record, NO, Brexiters don't know exactly how things will play out.

Perhaps one of the Remainers could lend us their crystal ball for a bit of clarity?
    Last edited by shaunbhoy; 19 January 2017, 17:24.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    The problem is not who they have, but who they may exclude, if a particular demographic tends to Sky.
    That's what causes the bias.

So Sky is slightly less than 50% of the people who have "enhanced" TV.
    Might Virgin be a different demographic? - I honestly don't know.
    I think just excluding Virgin users makes the sample unrepresentative.
    So in other words, you cannot conceive of ANY sample of the populace that might realistically be deemed to be truly representative?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    ftfy

Are you saying sas is Boris Johnson?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    When I was in India I engaged people in conversation about Brexit and they were soon sleeping soundly
    ftfy

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I had a go at following this tread and god what a mess of insults and dick waving. Bored by this now.

I would love to know the stats on how many people are joining our site and actually contributing. Cause the top threads are just a pile of crap and would put me off.

I might even try the IPSE forum or mumsnet.
    Mumsnet is the most popular out of all three. IPSE is an echo chamber.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    looks like the Brexiters have gone away, had a rest, had a cup of tea, digested the conversation,

and,

thrown in the towel

there's lovely

Milan in "I told you so" mode.
    Milan, I really hope you are troll otherwise I feel a little sad for you. It's not a competition, don't try and put people down to hide your own insecurities. Come on, be better.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    I had a go at following this tread and god what a mess of insults and dick waving. Bored by this now.

I would love to know the stats on how many people are joining our site and actually contributing. Cause the top threads are just a pile of crap and would put me off.

I might even try the IPSE forum or mumsnet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X