• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Send them to live next door to remainers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    I don't dispute that, but do you dispute the low crime rate ?
    I will give you a low reported crime rate.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Ok. But please try to explain why an area office covering the north east of the city has one minority providing over half the case load.
    That's real unpolished data for you, not laundered stuff for public consumption. But hey you go on denying a credible eyewitness, who actually goes into their houses.
    I don't dispute that, but do you dispute the low crime rate ?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    There's shedloads of Eastern European immigrants living round my area, including upstairs and downstairs from my flat. It used to be loads of students round here, but they tend to go for the private student tower blocks with broadband included nowadays.

The primary result of this major demographic shift during the twelve years I've lived here is that the neighbourhood is generally a lot more peaceful as there aren't gangs of drunken traffic-cone-wearing youngsters staggering home at four in the morning. Crimes such as burglary have also greatly reduced, as student houses were always getting burgled because they're very lax about security and they have nice laptops and such, but now the easy pickings are no longer here the burglars have moved on.

Feel free to send more immigrants - it's almost as good here now as it was in the predominantly Muslim neighbourhood where I lived for much of the 1980s and 1990s
    While Roma are from Eastern Europe people from there make the distinction that they are not "normal" people.

My Polish and Serbian neighbours are lovely just like my brother's Hungarian ones.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    That's fine I'll go with the crime statistics, the comments from community leaders and the high house prices in the area. My experience is bad areas have low prices.
    Ok. But please try to explain why an area office covering the north east of the city has one minority providing over half the case load.
    That's real unpolished data for you, not laundered stuff for public consumption. But hey you go on denying a credible eyewitness, who actually goes into their houses.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    JessieH

Total Posts: 10

Last Activity: 19-11-2013 20:13

Hardly up to date and suspiciously few posts. About as reliable as Dim Prawn. I'll go with the professional, masters educated social worker who actually drives and walks around these streets on a daily basis.
    That's fine I'll go with the crime statistics, the comments from community leaders and the high house prices in the area. My experience is bad areas have low prices.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Of course there is an inherent bias there. Social workers by definition spend all their time in the worst areas, seeing only the people who are having problems or are causing them. Social workers, like police, must have an awful time to retain any faith in humanity when all they tend to see is the worst of us The tragic situations they see as normal... good on them, I couldn't do it.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Not everyone thinks it's bad though, your step daughter is simply dealing with the problems, but what about the residents:

Issues in Page Hall/Firth Park - Page 24 - Sheffield Forum

JessieH

Total Posts: 10

Last Activity: 19-11-2013 20:13

Hardly up to date and suspiciously few posts. About as reliable as Dim Prawn. I'll go with the professional, masters educated social worker who actually drives and walks around these streets on a daily basis.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    There's shedloads of Eastern European immigrants living round my area, including upstairs and downstairs from my flat. It used to be loads of students round here, but they tend to go for the private student tower blocks with broadband included nowadays.

The primary result of this major demographic shift during the twelve years I've lived here is that the neighbourhood is generally a lot more peaceful as there aren't gangs of drunken traffic-cone-wearing youngsters staggering home at four in the morning. Crimes such as burglary have also greatly reduced, as student houses were always getting burgled because they're very lax about security and they have nice laptops and such, but now the easy pickings are no longer here the burglars have moved on.

Feel free to send more immigrants - it's almost as good here now as it was in the predominantly Muslim neighbourhood where I lived for much of the 1980s and 1990s

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    "It's claimed community work in Sheffield's Page Hall should be used as an example to divided communities across the country."

Her council funded post requires her to present a rosy picture. Just like down the road in Rotherham a few years ago.

As I've said earlier my stepdaughter is in and out of their houses nearly everyday, and when she's not, she's in child protection court.
    She sees with her own eyes what going on, the abuse, the begging, the constant threats, the complete waste of council resources in funding appeals. This is British tax payers wasted trying to sort out foreign nationals social and problems. It would be better spent on increasing the funding for our elderly.
    Not everyone thinks it's bad though, your step daughter is simply dealing with the problems, but what about the residents:

Issues in Page Hall/Firth Park - Page 24 - Sheffield Forum

live in the heart of Page Hall and I'm absolutely in favour of the Slovak Roma staying in the area and being given the help and opportunities that they need to integrate. I have Slovak neighbours and they're nice families, always friendly and polite, sometimes helpful, probably because I've made an effort to get to know them and speak to them.

Yes there's a problem with litter, a problem that only seems to be really dealt with by the Council when there's a film crew around- of which there've been a few lately. This can only be tackled by education and time. Give them that time and support them through it.

The news and media crews are a problem for me. They descend on us and tell a story of our community that is only half a story. They don't talk about the sweet-natured Slovak kids that always welcome me and my daughter home when they see us, they don't talk about the ladies who are so house proud they scrub their carpets and dry them outdoors (they have very little but they're proud of what they have) and they don't talk about the dances and festivals that the Slovaks organise for the whole community to attend if they wish now and then. There are many other positives- the Slovaks for example are trying to change each other's behaviour by becoming Community Wardens and the PAKA Centre has been great in leading the way with this.

This place is an interesting and sociable place to live and not many communities can say that anymore. There are issues absolutely, but if these families are given a chance, if people stop fearing them and start befriending them I think it could be one of the best communities in Sheffield in a few years time. Until then, I hope the media will leave us alone because offering their half stories will only incite violence that can be definately be prevented within the community.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    "It's claimed community work in Sheffield's Page Hall should be used as an example to divided communities across the country."

Her council funded post requires her to present a rosy picture. Just like down the road in Rotherham a few years ago.

As I've said earlier my stepdaughter is in and out of their houses nearly everyday, and when she's not, she's in child protection court.
    She sees with her own eyes what going on, the abuse, the begging, the constant threats, the complete waste of council resources in funding appeals. This is British tax payers wasted trying to sort out foreign nationals social and problems. It would be better spent on increasing the funding for our elderly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X