• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Send them to live next door to remainers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Exactly, nearly a decade ago I met a couple of German chaps commissioning Asparagus picking machines in West Sussex. They were saying that their firm were close on many produce picking machines.

Growers get peek at automatic picking machine — VIDEO | Good Fruit Grower

Soon we will Automate and there will be a glut of jobless.

McDonalds are already experimenting with customers ordering via screen, there are burger & pizza making machines etc.
    Burger King have such a machine in some service stations.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    I saw an interesting thing on the BBC during the small hours that this might well force factories and agriculture into automation sooner. The example was the manual weeding of certain crops that sticks in my mind. Perhaps the 'need' to import people might well be irrelevant sooner than we think.
    Exactly, nearly a decade ago I met a couple of German chaps commissioning Asparagus picking machines in West Sussex. They were saying that their firm were close on many produce picking machines.

Growers get peek at automatic picking machine — VIDEO | Good Fruit Grower

Soon we will Automate and there will be a glut of jobless.

McDonalds are already experimenting with customers ordering via screen, there are burger & pizza making machines etc.

Amazon's first drone delivery was yesterday.

Unskilled repetitive jobs in large companies are soon to be extinct but someone still has to pay for the jobless's children to go to school (and we should somehow because we need to move up the pole).

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    not wishing to disrespect muslims but the majority I meet are taxi drivers & shop keepers highly unlikely to pay full tax or declare full wealth. I also suspect a lot of the money is repatriated.
    As a whole, its fair to say that Muslims don't integrate very well and tend to live in ghettoes.
    And for many, Islamic beliefs hold back women's participation in the workforce.
    A usual it's a question of education, the ones I meet are professional and tend to work in the medical/dental sector.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Seriously? The Jewish population - on average - declaring ten times the wealth of Muslims?
    not wishing to disrespect muslims but the majority I meet are taxi drivers & shop keepers highly unlikely to pay full tax or declare full wealth. I also suspect a lot of the money is repatriated.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    I saw an interesting thing on the BBC during the small hours that this might well force factories and agriculture into automation sooner. The example was the manual weeding of certain crops that sticks in my mind. Perhaps the 'need' to import people might well be irrelevant sooner than we think.
    Machines don't pay NI, and someone needs to feed the state pension ponzi scheme, low birth rates of Brits and a huge wave of "boomers" hitting pension age demands more fodder in the form of immigrants.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    One of the reason's the leave vote won was because we tried to negotiate with the EU and they just slammed the door in our face. How do you think they would behave when they have even more power?
    That negotiation was a sham, the terms were known to be impossible and it only happened to allow Cameron to put off the referendum he promised and delayed so many times. It was all about having the cake and eat it, and you wonder why the EU slammed the door?

Maybe the rest of the EU will start thinking (?)rexit and the EU might lose some of its arrogance then negotiate?
    Or it might be the other way around, maybe the showcase of Brexit and the turmoil in UK will act as deterrent. Only time will tell.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Ah the classic confounding variable... is the Muslim population compared to the Jewish substantially younger, perhaps?
    Yes.

Statistics don't tend to be broken down enough so you can draw a useful conclusion.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Seriously? The Jewish population - on average - having ten times the wealth of Muslims?
    Well I think the Jewish population are an outlier in that they have twice the general pop wealth anyway.
    But most of people's personal wealth is tied up in their houses.
    If Jewish people live in Hampstead and Muslims live in Haringey, it's not very surprising
    Plus the Jewish pop is substantially older, Muslims have more kids, that'll skew the figures.
    Last edited by sasguru; 15 December 2016, 11:09.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Not really - have they separated religions by age as well?
    Ah the classic confounding variable... is the Muslim population compared to the Jewish substantially younger, perhaps?

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Not really - have they separated religions by age as well?
    Seriously? The Jewish population - on average - having ten times the wealth of Muslims?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X