• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Send them to live next door to remainers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    I had my sights on Berlin a few years back until sprog number one rocked up. I've settled for a quieter/less expensive part of the UK instead. I've always felt Brits and the Germans had much in common.
    I like Germany, go every year on account of having a friend and some in-laws there.
    What I've noticed recently is how much cleaner it is.
    When did people start throwing crap on the streets here and think it OK to do so?

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    To be fair, vetran raised an intersting point. I don't know why more Brits don't work in Germany, say.
    The only ones who do seem to be of the educated professional class, yet Germany is crying out for tradespeople.
    Pay is about the same as here, but you get a lot more spending money due to cheap housing.
    The culture of beer and football is familiar.
    Germans generally like Brits, too.
    I had my sights on Berlin a few years back until sprog number one rocked up. I've settled for a quieter/less expensive part of the UK instead. I've always felt Brits and the Germans had much in common.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    And that - in a nut shell - is the UK's Achilles' heel. Our housing costs are off the scale.
    To be fair, vetran raised an intersting point. I don't know why more Brits don't work in Germany, say.
    The only ones who do seem to be of the educated professional class, yet Germany is crying out for tradespeople.
    Pay is about the same as here, but you get a lot more spending money due to cheap housing.
    The culture of beer and football is familiar.
    Germans generally like Brits, too.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    I get paid handsomely for my analytical skills.
    I'm not sure what anyone would pay you for, though

Tell me which bit you disagree with?
    That there are not plenty of jobs in Germany?
    That the standard of living is higher there, if you take account of cheap housing?
    And that - in a nut shell - is the UK's Achilles' heel. Our housing costs are off the scale.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

as usual SAS.

In hope no one pays you for your analytical skills.
    I get paid handsomely for my analytical skills.
    I'm not sure what anyone would pay you for, though

Tell me which bit you disagree with?
    That there are not plenty of jobs in Germany?
    That the standard of living is higher there, if you take account of cheap housing?

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Was walking through Manchester today and went past a Big Issue seller - who was clearly from a different country based on the accent I would say one of the Eastern European ones.

And I though yes homelessness is a big issue- and you have it made it 1 bigger.....

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    their.

What a complete pile of bollux. You'd have a far better standard of living in Germany and Switzerland and there are plenty of jobs.
    And there are plenty of educated Brits taking advantage where language is not an issue.
    Why don't Brits go to Germany? I don't know.
    They used to in the 80s, they'd be welcome now, but the current generation seems to have too many benefits and/or be too insular and up their own arses to actually go and graft somewhere else.

as usual SAS.

In hope no one pays you for your analytical skills.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

The reason brits don't move on masse to recently joined EU countries is that there economies don't pay enough. .
    their.

What a complete pile of bollux. You'd have a far better standard of living in Germany and Switzerland and there are plenty of jobs.
    And there are plenty of educated Brits taking advantage where language is not an issue.
    Why don't Brits go to Germany? I don't know.
    They used to in the 80s, they'd be welcome now, but the current generation seems to have too many benefits and/or be too insular and up their own arses to actually go and graft somewhere else.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Or RT.

Yes we do. We agreed to it, under EU law. It's called "freedom of movement". There's nothing to stop you moving to Romania, Slovenia, or even Switzerland.

Ever wondered why the feckless of the UK don't migrate to other EU countries?
    Well, post brexit, at least the Europeans will be kept out (assuming that freedom of movement is not part of the brexit agreement). Just have to deal with all the commonwealth nationals.
    So I take it you agree with invading Iraq, Syria & Afghanistan? After all the British government agreed to it so it must be right.

The reason brits don't move on masse to recently joined EU countries is that there economies don't pay enough. Plenty are buying property & businesses over there because they are cheap.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Exactly, nearly a decade ago I met a couple of German chaps commissioning Asparagus picking machines in West Sussex. They were saying that their firm were close on many produce picking machines.
    My Grandfather used to complain about robots and computers "taking men's jobs". That's when he wasn't complaining about immigrants doing the same. Of course this was the 1980s and we've had a lot more of both since, not to mention a lot more women taking "men's jobs". Strangely none of this has resulted in mass unemployment.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X