• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Send them to live next door to remainers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    Speaking about foreigners in UK not willing to integrate or learn English, you should check the British expat communities in Spain fro example - a lot stick to themselves, speaking basic or no spanish after years in the country.
    But they spend a lot of cash.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    We planned on moving when in our thirties but looking after ill parents (they seem to line up to be taken care off) stopped that and now, well we both make excellent money and have a pretty good standard of living. For all it's faults the UK has an awful lot to offer. Plus it helps that I like the rain.

I did meet a German on holiday in US and he did comment that we made the right decision to leave the EU, seems that not all Germans are content.
    Lots of other EU nationals don't like the EU.

Lots have views like Corbyn as well.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    The reason brits don't move on masse to recently joined EU countries is that there economies don't pay enough. Plenty are buying property & businesses over there because they are cheap.
    There are plenty of reasons for people to move (or don't) to a different country and not all of them are economic.

One of the reasons why Brits are not moving to other EU countries is the language barrier. While the immigrants have the benefits like English being an international language thanks to the Internet and US/UK influence in the entertainment industry, compulsory foreign language in primary and secondary school and english being relatively easy to learn language. Brits have a history of over relying on others to speak english and have neglected their own foreign language skills. Most of the EE languages are completely alien, some of them even with a different alphabet - cyrillic, exacerbating the problem.

Speaking about foreigners in UK not willing to integrate or learn English, you should check the British expat communities in Spain fro example - a lot stick to themselves, speaking basic or no spanish after years in the country.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    There always through crap on the street.

I remember at 19 being open mouthed in shock that someone would open their car door and just throw the rubbish from their car on to the road. What I was shocked by most is that:
    1. It was dry rubbish e.g no liquid containers that could leak
    2. There was a bin a metre away.

The difference is due to council cuts roads are cleaned less frequently.
    I've had to explain to kids on our street that leaving litter is a bad thing. They seemed genuinely surprised, like it was up to someone to clean up after them. When I was a lad, if you littered and an adult spotted you got an earful. But i agree with you about council cuts.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    I had my sights on Berlin a few years back until sprog number one rocked up. I've settled for a quieter/less expensive part of the UK instead. I've always felt Brits and the Germans had much in common.
    We planned on moving when in our thirties but looking after ill parents (they seem to line up to be taken care off) stopped that and now, well we both make excellent money and have a pretty good standard of living. For all it's faults the UK has an awful lot to offer. Plus it helps that I like the rain.

I did meet a German on holiday in US and he did comment that we made the right decision to leave the EU, seems that not all Germans are content.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I like Germany, go every year on account of having a friend and some in-laws there.
    What I've noticed recently is how much cleaner it is.
    When did people start throwing crap on the streets here and think it OK to do so?
    There always through crap on the street.

I remember at 19 being open mouthed in shock that someone would open their car door and just throw the rubbish from their car on to the road. What I was shocked by most is that:
    1. It was dry rubbish e.g no liquid containers that could leak
    2. There was a bin a metre away.

The difference is due to council cuts roads are cleaned less frequently.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    To be fair, vetran raised an intersting point. I don't know why more Brits don't work in Germany, say.
    The only ones who do seem to be of the educated professional class, yet Germany is crying out for tradespeople.
    Pay is about the same as here, but you get a lot more spending money due to cheap housing.
    The culture of beer and football is familiar.
    Germans generally like Brits, too.
    I didn't in the way you thought as Germany isn't a recent joiner of the EU
    recently joined EU countries
    hence my dismissal of your analytical skills.

But as you raise it, some brits did leave the UK 136,000 however most people I know emigrating have gone further like Australia or Dubai. Comes to something when Germany is less attractive than USA, Spain, China or France.

Emigration nation: who are the thousands fleeing Britain each year? - Telegraph

I suspect not many people want to emigrate from a country that most of the world think of very positively.

This may change if we manage to turn the UK into a complete basket case.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    I know a couple of permies who returned to Eastern Europe because the wages are almost on a par with the UK and the cost of living is much lower.

Disposable income in Europe has always been higher than the UK

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Interestingly mortgage rates are quite a bit cheaper in Germany and I dare say across the Euro zone. So although appartments are cheaper to buy. a 10% difference, a key factor in cheaper housing costs are the significantly lower mortgage rates.

There was a lot of "crowing" about the UK not being in the Euro but there is no doubt there is a price to be paid, i.e. people in the UK are worse off because they have to put up with interest rates which are higher than they would be if they were in the Euro, as of course Economists predicted.

...and there will be an even bigger price to pay when the UK leaves the EU.

Disagree with you there. Joining the Euro would have been a mistake, said that back in 2001.
    Maybe mortgage rates are higher but on the hand we have the flexibility with the pound.
    As I keep saying we had a good cherry pick with the EU, our own currency, no political integration guaranteed, have our economic cake and eat it.
    And now we just tore that up for what will be a worse deal, if any.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I get paid handsomely for my analytical skills.
    I'm not sure what anyone would pay you for, though

Tell me which bit you disagree with?
    That there are not plenty of jobs in Germany?
    That the standard of living is higher there, if you take account of cheap housing?
    Interestingly mortgage rates are quite a bit cheaper in Germany and I dare say across the Euro zone. So although appartments are cheaper to buy. a 10% difference, a key factor in cheaper housing costs are the significantly lower mortgage rates.

There was a lot of "crowing" about the UK not being in the Euro but there is no doubt there is a price to be paid, i.e. people in the UK are worse off because they have to put up with interest rates which are higher than they would be if they were in the Euro, as of course Economists predicted.

...and there will be an even bigger price to pay when the UK leaves the EU.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X