• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What are some of the Worst Contracts You've Had and How Long Did you Stick it Out?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Reminds me of something a mate of mine had at one client. Not me honestly. My mate is a good looking young fella (Im a bit old!).

The PM was a middle aged lady. Borderline by all accounts. They were working late one night and she called him over and she was sat there with skirt hiked up and nothing else on underneath.

Mate made his excuses and left soon after.... Depends on your take but it could have been the best gig ever I guess.
    I remember reading about that in the local paper....

Comment

My current gig is always the worst one, but my wife won't stand for me being at home all day, so I have to do something to pass the time...

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
        My current gig is always the worst one, but my wife won't stand for me being at home all day, so I have to do something to pass the time...
        Get a Manshack and live with the faeries - works for me!
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Of course, the worst contractor I had was this Welsh chap. He used to park his vehicle just outside the company offices, We asked him to either respray it or at least park it somewhere else.

He'd often spend upwards of 20 minutes in the gents with a Littlewoods magazine, making grunting noises.
          If I had a meeting on another site, he'd arrange one for himself as well. I think he was stalking me.
          He had a tendency to long liquid lunches, so we had to insist he eat only in the on-site canteen. His colleagues kepts tabs on his movements- they were running a book with a weekly small prize to whoever could guess, to the nearest hour, how long he'd actually be at his desk.

In the end he just quit and did what he always boasted he'd do. He went on JSA.
          Quite funny for you NAT!
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            Yes, but "Borderline" what?

Borderline Yes or no. Although not much is a no for me these days. Even if it baaaaasssss
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Borderline Yes or no. Although not much is a no for me these days. Even if it baaaaasssss
              apparently the little blue pill works.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Would be hard to beat phones-****-u, management by screaming at people, 6 people left the first friday, minimum 2 a week after that (out of 60).
                Boss's nickname was mad dog, he had apparently been sacked from previous role for bullying, he fitted in well.
                Oddly - the ones that caused me more personal trauma were 2 where I had to 'rationalise' current staffing levels - i.e. decide who was toast. (serious sleep loss)
                And one where in spite of the realities of the project the programme manager just repeated - but I have told the seniors it will be done by April. (repressed fury pushed me beyond acceptable limits)
                I SHOULD have walked off all 4 of these but stayed out of devillment and refusal to accept I couldn't deal.

Comment

Last gig most definitely, more contractor churn than I've seen in a while, quite frequently from hard working / overall good people who might have had an opinion the lead developer didn't like.
                  I just tried to keep my head down and implemented whatever they desired after running out of energy present simpler approaches in a manner that would not get me out the door. Lead developer was re-writing most people's code, generally in a poor way.
                  Overall bad atmosphere as this guy rips apart the work of others, not to their face but easily within earshot.
                  Project over a year late.
                  Stayed almost 2 years and in the end just didn't renew. To be fair I have learned a fair bit in how things can be done to avoid issues such as those however I should have left much earlier and in future I will. I stayed mostly because I like to see projects through to the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
                    To be fair I have learned a fair bit in how things can be done to avoid issues such as those .
                    Care to share?

Comment

One client where the manager was completely anal. Things he tried to dictate that everyone (permies included) should do:-

1. Not leave site at lunchtime ("in case I need you urgently")
                      2. Not park on the road outside the office ("it looks scruffy") even though there were no parking restrictions.
                      3. Restrict toilet breaks to as little as possible. (I thought this was wind up when he first said it - I just went for 20 min "breaks" to wind him up after this)

Things he'd also do:-
                      1. If I had a meeting at another site he'd turn up just after to make sure I hadnt gone home (even if the other office was miles out of his way).
                      2. Got permies to write down the times the contractors turned up for work when he wasnt there.

Only stayed so long because it was local. Took an extension I shouldnt have and regretted it. Luckily, got something else right at the end of that one and left.
                      The OP asked you to post your worst contract, not your typical contract.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X