• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overpay the mortgage VS saving

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fool View Post
    Yeah, does that seem high? To put it in perspective I'm down £2180 p/m on mortgage payments alone. Bills will easily take that to £2680 before I even buy dinner and a nice dinner will easily cost £40-£80.

Living down south isn't cheap. Not worth doing unless your rates are high.
    It's not cheap in the outer reaches of the UK either. £2700 out the door at the beginning of the month. That said, the pesky kids make up for a good chunk of that.

Comment

Originally posted by fool View Post
      Yeah, does that seem high? To put it in perspective I'm down £2180 p/m on mortgage payments alone. Bills will easily take that to £2680 before I even buy dinner and a nice dinner will easily cost £40-£80.

Living down south isn't cheap. Not worth doing unless your rates are high.
      £2180 mortgage payment - assuming this is your residential mortgage - would equate to a loan of around £500k, which is not far off the amount I was talking about above too.

I'm also in the South East and agree that things are very expensive, mostly housing. Trying to upgrade my home is going to be a real challenge.

Comment

numbers in the last few posts have made me feel slightly better about my own outgoings, although I'm not a £600 p/d contractor yet so it's probably all relative

on the debt vs savings question, I've always hated debt and attempted to pay down first mortgage as quickly as possible, but after 3 years of overpayments and rates continually falling, I stopped and bought a BTL

recently taken on a 2nd much larger mortgage for a new residential home and inclination is to pay this down as quickly as possible but understand that whilst rates are still low this may not be the most prudent use of funds

Comment

I overpay the mortgage by a big chunk every month. Still got another six years or so before it's cleared. It's a safe, unexciting investment that pays more than any similarly safe harbour.

If you can weather storms it's not a bad idea to take on more debt over assets you'll think will grow. Just not as safe.

It's boring though!

I've got a share portfolio which provides a bit of excitement but I don't add to it at the moment.

Your main choice is between safety and a bit more risk (ignoring the divorce angle).

Comment

Originally posted by MattZani View Post
            Hi all

I only recently bought my first property. My mortgage monthly repayment is fairly manageable and I am in a position where I can set aside a reasonable amount.

I could overpay my mortgage and pay off my mortgage early or I could save for a deposit on a second house, which I would buy to let.

Based on your experiences, what would be the wiser choice? Have you done anything similar in the past? Is it wise to have not 1 but 2 mortgages? I'm pretty young and newbie in these sort of things so every suggestion is very much appreciated.

Thanks
            On a serious note have you considered an Offset Mortgage. It sounds like the right mortgage product for what you want to do. By taking out an offset mortgage, you can make your savings work for you. That’s because cash in savings or current accounts is offset against any mortgage balance. This can reduce your mortgage term and also gives you the flexibility to withdraw at anytime.

Comment

Originally posted by Freelancer Financials View Post
              On a serious note have you considered an Offset Mortgage. It sounds like the right mortgage product for what you want to do. By taking out an offset mortgage, you can make your savings work for you. That’s because cash in savings or current accounts is offset against any mortgage balance. This can reduce your mortgage term and also gives you the flexibility to withdraw at anytime.
              has the offset mortgage rate come close to repayment yet?
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                I had one that was 4% with RBS when the normal rates were about 2.5% so wasnt bad but they didn't alter it when the rates got chopped so got out. I'd be interested to see what the situation is as well.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The ones I've seen tend to just be SVR with the offset element tacked on.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    You mean a standard mortgage, not repayment as you can get Offsets that are repayment or interest only.

The rates are pretty competitive. For instance you can get a 2 year fixed rate offset remortgage with Scottish Widows at 1.34% at 60% LTV and also 1.79% at 85% LTV. Scottish Widows Bank are also part of the Lloyds Banking Group so they also use the same contractor friendly lending criteria as Halifax.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                      The ones I've seen tend to just be SVR with the offset element tacked on.
                      Not the case, there are many competitive offset rates that track the Bank base rate and also fixed rates.

Comment

Working...
                      X