• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IndyRef2 : This time it's war!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ContractorHardman
    replied
    Originally posted by jbond007 View Post
    Still not sure how this would work. Independent from rest of the UK doesn't guarantee joining EU. There is a waiting list for joining EU and they've said they will not make an exception for Scotland. Not sure how Sturgeon is hoping to achieve this.
    It doesn't and the waiting list means nothing in the EU. The Membership states can fast track Scotlands membership is they all agree to do it.

Another point that has been raised is that the Brexit negotiations which "should" include Scotland might well have them join the EU.

Of course, for the UK that will be great news considering all the grants and funding Scotland takes from them

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Just glancing the hate-filled spite on the BBC's HYS awakens the ugly tulip I thought was behind us. Shudder.

I hate this. I'm reminded how much Scots are hated. Feck who wouldn't want out.
    People saw Eastern Europeans taking jobs they thought they could have and voted leave.
    People see Scotland with Free Prescriptions No University Fees (ignoring the dire finance of Scottish Unis compared to UK ones) and think greedy sods - if they want to go good riddance.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Whether or not that's true (it isn't), it's an interesting reflection on your character that you're hoping for the worst.
    Why is Scottish Independence "hoping for the worst" ?

You just voted to leave the EU to regain your sovereignty are you now suggesting that Scots too shouldn't democratically decide ?

What I do see is a government and a country in disarray.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Feck who wouldn't want out.
    Oh, I don't know. The uptrodden "55"?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    It's hard to hope for something different when driving up the wrong side of the motorway.
    In your extensive experience.

Leave a comment:

• jbond007
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck View Post
    I still don't get what the "Out" Scots want. To leave the Uk, only to replace the largely benign Uk government with the EU? To lose the funding from the Uk, alongside a long-term collapse in oil price? To lose tens of thousands of Uk public sector jobs while only having three people and dog working in the private sector?

The SNP want to scrap Trident, along presumably with the thousands of supporting jobs on the Clyde.

Fine, if Scotland wants to leave, then let them go. I just don't see what they expect their future to look like, other than bleak and impoverished.
    Still not sure how this would work. Independent from rest of the UK doesn't guarantee joining EU. There is a waiting list for joining EU and they've said they will not make an exception for Scotland. Not sure how Sturgeon is hoping to achieve this.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Just glancing the hate-filled spite on the BBC's HYS awakens the ugly tulip I thought was behind us. Shudder.

I hate this. I'm reminded how much Scots are hated. Feck who wouldn't want out.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Whether or not that's true (it isn't), it's an interesting reflection on your character that you're hoping for the worst.
    It's hard to hope for something different when driving up the wrong side of the motorway.

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    This is a stage managed, party conference, news event. They're a very long way from pulling the trigger. Once they do, the SNP understands that their time is limited. Lose and they're finished. Win, and they're degraded over time by the loss of their main rallying cry to Scottish voters.
    Yup its very much this. Rallies the faithful . Keeps Nicola on the front page.

The BBC of course is loving it.. I want a referendum on the licence fee

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    There's a few on here that would quite happily see the UK on the rocks. No idea where the hatred comes from (save for Scootscot).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X