• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can't live on £50k a year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CretinWatcher
    replied
    Yeah some of the figures seem a bit odd

1180 per month for bills for an end of terrace?
    250 per month for birthdays and Christmas?
    300 for a Mini Countryman AND a Kia Sportage?
    Gym membership? Go running instead or buy a bike
    Sky? FFS!

Yeah 50K is hard to live on, made much harder if you're a spoilt infantile adult.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    £1180 for utilities? What the hell are they doing, hydroponics?

We survived (Mrs LM, Miss LM and I) on my first salary of £14,500 at the back end of the 90s. Basic broadband, no Sky TV, 1 car. Mrs LM didn't work so we didn't need childcare. It was tough but you cut your cloth accordingly. It's very simple - don't try and keep up with the Joneses if Mr Jones is on 100k a year and you're on 50k a year.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post

This is the biggest problem, with 2 kids, for most mothers it makes no financial sense to work.
    Exactly, earns 1 grand, spends 1 grand on child care.

They could live equally well on his salary and have a lot less stress if she managed the household.

They can cancel the gym membership, sky subscription and sell the second car.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post

£50k is about £3500 take a month, £2500 is probably mortgage & car repayments, add in gym memberships, sky TV, bills, insurances, shopping, 2-3 nights out per month, money quickly disappears
    WHS, plus emergency repair bills, such as when the boiler goes caput or the jam jar needs expensive new parts.

I mean my last Jag service was nearly £2K (four new tyres, four new brake disks, pads, plus a few other bits and bobs, not forgetting 20% VAT!

The Rangerover service (in progress) is looking even worse, autocooler blown, fuel injection leak, EGR valve fault, etc. God, I'm looking at anything up to £3K!

Also, there's interest on loans. Probably most of us IT contractors and the like are OK in that respect, but I bet a fair proportion of the population is practically marching on the spot with loan repayments, even with the current low interest rates, and in the exceedingly unlikely event interest rates rose they would be well scuppered!

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post

Doesn't look like she is doing a good job.....
    £1180 per month?!?!

Even pricing it up high, £180 council tax, £80 for Sky to cover both broadband and home phone, £35 each for an unlimited mobile phone contract, £150 for gas and electric combined, £for home & contents, £200 for BUPA, still only comes to £680. What's the other £500 going on?

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    UTILITY BILLS (including gas, electric, home phone, mobile phones, broadband, insurance and council tax): £1,180
    That's excluding car insurance as it was in a separate category. WTF
    I log all our income and outgoings on a spreadsheet and spent an entire day recently contacting energy and insurance providers to find more competitive rates.
    Doesn't look like she is doing a good job...

Financially, it doesn’t make a lot of sense for me to be working, but I wish to be a good role model to my children and don’t want Alex to shoulder all the burden.
    This is the biggest problem, with 2 kids, for most mothers it makes no financial sense to work.

Edit:

This entire article seems made up to get to a 0 sum at the end - the last family:
    CHRISTMAS AND BIRTHDAYS: £250.
    that's £3k om x-mas and birthdays / year....
    Last edited by sal; 26 August 2016, 08:18.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Startling as it is they would be better off making the state find them a home and feed them.
    Save for the fact I would imagine it crushes the soul in the long run, but in numerical terms probably yes. At least earning gives you some choices in life.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    If you take the five times multiplier for mortgage affordability, they would only get a 250k mortgage for whatever they lived in but even thats works out at around 1500 a month on its own. add another 200 for council tax and then add the travel fees and a car because everyone need one of those and god forbid they needed food + child care... I can see an easy 4k straight down the pan...

Startling as it is they would be better off making the state find them a home and feed them.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Surprisingly it's not the housing cost, but I think the £975 a month on a childminder might have something to do with it.
    The first had 1180 per month on utilities that seemed odd. All of them had kids, so cost of child minding was higher for some, which negates the 'headline' 50k.

What is does show, is that tax still takes a chunk. You'd thinkif you earned a grand a week, you'd be minted. But with kids, house etc, it's not worth much.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Surprisingly it's not the housing cost, but I think the £975 a month on a childminder might have something to do with it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X