• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Evidence the Scots Would Have Been Just Fine on Thier Own

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Perhaps that's something to do with the fact that over the past 40+ years Scotland gets a government it din't vote for. And suffers and suffers.

Scotland is politically different from the rUK. End of.
    Ah......what's that sound, its my fecking heart breaking

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

Perhaps that's something to do with the fact that over the past 40+ years Scotland gets a government it din't vote for. And suffers and suffers. ...
    What a load of emotive bollox.

Are you seriously saying Labour wouldn't have won (separately) in Scotland in 1997 or whenever it was?

Oh, after a two second web search, I see it would, even if Scotland had been independent.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Perhaps that's something to do with the fact that over the past 40+ years Scotland gets a government it din't vote for. And suffers and suffers.

Scotland gets to decide almost all of its own laws, and spend all of its heavily subsidised budget. You've obviously been in Munich too long. Or not long enough, depending on one's point of view.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    At what point did Scotland keep oil tax revenue in the past 40 years? Westminster squandered it. Common knowledge.

Scotland's public sector, a monster that needs culled, serves a chunk of the UK not just Scotland. It's crass to include public sector spending when Scotland is not the only beneficiary.
    And anyway, you don't even live there! It's like me moaning about house prices in the South East.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied

Certainly not more so than Northern Ireland and every region has distinct voting patterns.

And you have got the government you voted for. So how does the SNP (now it has pretty much total control of Scotland's budget) resolve its overspending? How on earth would it have made up the loss of oil revenue if you were on your own? Why do you think you'd be better off in the EU than the UK? You'd have far less of a voice in the great scheme of things. What makes you think you won't be another Greece/Spain/Portugal? That said, if you do become like Portugal then perhaps SASGuru might move up your way.

It's striking how similar the SNP and Sinn Fein's rhetoric is.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I was talking to client CIO yesterday. He'd spent his summer holiday in Edinburgh - he said he had a great time except there were always people who felt they had to educate Johnny Foreigner about how awfully the Scots had been treated by the English.

Next year, he's off to Iceland.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    As far as I can tell Scots Indy people only see Scotland as a single entity.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    You could say exactly the same about London tax revenue and the rest of the country, so I don't really know what your point is
    As far as I can tell Scots Indy people only see Scotland as a single entity, bit like Irish nationalists. In both cases their cause is more on an ideology than a hard headed decision. Personally I am deeply saddened that some Scottish folk consider 'Westminster' as they like to call it (although I am sure it is meant to read English) far worse - despite 300-years of relatively successful combined history - than chumming up with the EU. What is always a mystery is why the SNP never really seem to mention Wales and Northern Ireland when trying to put the boot into the UK. Perhaps because a significant percentage of the latter has very strong ties to Scotland.

Make no mistake Nicola Sturgeon has not gone away (to pinch Gerry Adams' famous words). Never underestimate her. Her current angle to her unforeseen (and potential fatal had there been independence) loss of oil revenue has been to come up with a supposed 'Brexit cost' for Scotland. This is the current line of attack.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    At what point did Scotland keep oil tax revenue in the past 40 years? Westminster squandered it. Common knowledge.
    You could say exactly the same about London tax revenue and the rest of the country, so I don't really know what your point is

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied

Scotland's public sector, a monster that needs culled, serves a chunk of the UK not just Scotland. It's crass to include public sector spending when Scotland is not the only beneficiary.
    Mostly correct - splitting 2 nations apart is never going to be easy, Westminster didn't squander it, it all went into the pot, that's how the system works.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X