• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GB9
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Why don't you answer the question?

Just one of those mysteries of life, I guess.
    Because I'm sure your googling skills are as good as mine, probably better.

Anyway, I've googled and copied the article at the top of the list. Finding the actual papers would take longer so you can do that yourself. However, this is from your mates at the Guardian and states that the £66bn is the worst case and that it's in 15 years.

Leave a comment:

• sirja
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    errr no

It's saying that a significant majority want to stay in the single market.

Brexit Bulletin: Does Theresa May Have a Secret Plan? - Bloomberg

Staying in the single market isn't the same as staying in the EU. The big difference being that the UK won't have a say, they'll just have to abide by the rules.

I think quite a few people are missing the main point. There is NO SOFT BREXIT OPTION on the table. The only 'Soft' option is the EEA and that is politically unacceptable. I voted remain but I would kick against the EEA option which is basically all the rules with no ability to influence or veto. The 'Bespoke British deal' that May and the 3 Brexiters are blabbing about is simply pie in the sky. It will never happen. The only options on the table are stay in (Ignore the referendum result, May's govt would fall if that happened.) or leave completely. The EU are banking on the fact that when the true cost of a hard Brexit starts to dawn the govt will row back. Both sides are dug in, buckle up, 2017 is going be one heck of a wild ride.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Is this another survey of a group of people who feel they will be better of financial if we stay in the EU saying we need another vote to stop us from leaving the EU?

What part of NO are you pointless pampered privileged bigots struggling with?
    errr no

It's saying that a significant majority want to stay in the single market.

Brexit Bulletin: Does Theresa May Have a Secret Plan? - Bloomberg

A ComRes poll said 49 percent of Britons think the government should prioritize sealing a trade deal, while 39 percent put immigration first. A smaller survey for Open Britain found 59 percent want to stay in the single market.
    Staying in the single market isn't the same as staying in the EU. The big difference being that the UK won't have a say, they'll just have to abide by the rules.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    A recent poll showed that the vast majority favour the single market over immigration controls.

May Urged to Reveal Brexit Strategy as Lawmakers Push for Vote - Bloomberg

It looks like there are a lot headwinds against Theresa May's Hard Brexit approach.

Is this another survey of a group of people who feel they will be better of financial if we stay in the EU saying we need another vote to stop us from leaving the EU?

What part of NO are you pointless pampered privileged bigots struggling with?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Not all there. Indeed.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    ...Boris that told everyone he was writing two articles to see the competing arguments on paper...
    Did it occur to you that he might be prevaricating?

We need a "frothing at the mouth" emoticon for these kind of rants.

This one is sufficient, I think.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Instead parliament needs to vote on the deal that's agreed for us to come out. Again this will cause problems.
    Fundamentally, the process is problematic. It wasn't envisaged as an exercise in democracy; it was envisaged as something that was unlikely to be required. You can't have a substantive vote on the terms of negotiation prior to A50, as it's not with the remit of our gov't to make any promises about the outcome of a negotiating process or curtail options for such a complex, multidimensional, process. You can't have a substantive vote on the triggering of A50, as a failure to carry that vote would result in a constitutional crisis (i.e. it would carry). You can't have a substantive vote on the result of the negotiation, because there's no opportunity to return for an alternative deal. Like most EU procedure, it isn't a process that lends itself to democracy. In the absence of a substantive vote, all you're left with is a superficial one. The hope among continuity remain is that the latter can be used to frustrate the process and that, during the delay, everything will become OBE. That's why they prefer to have an early vote (on the terms of negotiation). They're already getting a vote on the Great Repeal Bill, but that's too late to do any real damage (recalling that A50 is a two-year process, and an extension requires unanimity).

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    But the vote was advisory wasn't it? There is no legal requirement to carry out the deed.
    Parliament would need to vote.

It would have to be a free vote and lots of MPs regardless of party for the good of their own political career would have to abstain if it was simply on the referendum. This would leave only those who would vote the way the majority of their constituents voted who could vote, so such a vote would be a waste of parliament's time.

Instead parliament needs to vote on the deal that's agreed for us to come out. Again this will cause problems.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

You know of course CEOs (traffic wardens) are on bonuses and graded on issued tickets I suspect job centre staff are similarly marked.
    See my post above.

The reports are in the print media as it's difficult for the TV undercover journalists to get people in unlike with the benefit call centres and passport office.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    We've got you covered

Yup that's more like it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X