• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Birstall MP attacked and killed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the societal condition becomes such that patriotism is viewed as racism and debate is silenced whereas UK MPs campaigning for the benefit of those in other countries instead of their compatriots let alone their constituents is lauded ... those at the extreme ends of the political spectrum may feel the only way forward is violence.

We need to concentrate on allowing debate rather than shutting it down.

The current beatification of this woman is sickening. It is simply the politicians and the mainstream media trying to maintain their stranglehold.

I do not condone this murder, but I see it as a natural consequence of the current state of our politics and society.

Changes must be made or things like this will happen again. Debate should be encouraged, however unpopular the views or the subjects, otherwise the unseen pressure cooker of opinions will blow from time to time.

Words do not kill, only actions. Give us our freedom of speech back.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Can't be bothered searching through the other dozen or so threads, but the point is the same. No tolerance.
      Conjecture without evidence.
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        And rather more didn't protest.
        Millions more were there in spirit.

Comment

Birstall MP attacked and killed

Originally posted by WotNxt View Post
          If the societal condition becomes such that patriotism is viewed as racism and debate is silenced whereas UK MPs campaigning for the benefit of those in other countries instead of their compatriots let alone their constituents is lauded ... those at the extreme ends of the political spectrum may feel the only way forward is violence.

We need to concentrate on allowing debate rather than shutting it down.

The current beatification of this woman is sickening. It is simply the politicians and the mainstream media trying to maintain their stranglehold.

I do not condone this murder, but I see it as a natural consequence of the current state of our politics and society.

Changes must be made or things like this will happen again. Debate should be encouraged, however unpopular the views or the subjects, otherwise the unseen pressure cooker of opinions will blow from time to time.

Words do not kill, only actions. Give us our freedom of speech back.

Who has taken your freedom of speech? Who says patriotism is racism? Who is trying to turn a murdered politician into a saint? Who says that having a local MP surgery is not supporting their constituencies?

It appears that rather than debate and dialogue, you are looking to make comments that appear to have little substance behind them. Perhaps if you could answer the above questions of mine it might make debating easier.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Who has taken your freedom of speech? Who says patriotism is racism? Who is trying to turn a murdered politician into a saint? Who says that having a local MP surgery is not supporting their constituencies?

It appears that rather than debate and dialogue, you are looking to make comments that appear to have little substance behind them. Perhaps if you could answer the above questions of mine it might make debating easier.
            I stated opinions, which is precisely what you have just done. I do not claim to be good at debating so if you are better at it then BULLY for you. I will not be bullied. Recognise that others have different opinions that you may not like and that may need to be accommodated somehow to maintain peace and balance. Some of those people currently feel marginalised and persecuted by YOUR opinions ... until there is a better balance the nutcases will increasingly crawl out of the dark corners and feel justified to themselves in their heinous actions.

I do not condone violence. I am advocating reducing violence by more balanced debate.

Comment

I stated opinions, which is precisely what you have just done. I do not claim to be good at debating so if you are better at it then BULLY for you. I will not be bullied. Recognise that others have different opinions that you may not like and that may need to be accommodated somehow to maintain peace and balance. Some of those people currently feel marginalised and persecuted by YOUR opinions ... until there is a better balance the nutcases will increasingly crawl out of the dark corners and feel justified to themselves in their heinous actions.

I do not condone violence. I am advocating reducing violence by more balanced debate.
              Indeed.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Comment

Sorry, now you're confusing me - you want to debate, but not with me? And you say that I am making people feel marginalised and persecuted by my opinion?
                All I did was ask you who you were talking about, sorry if that was an aggressive question!
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Most are happy to talk, few are happy to listen.

Or answer the questions put to them.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

And I'm minded to move the debate out of this thread. A woman has been violently murdered and this thread has been diverted.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                      And I'm minded to move the debate out of this thread. A woman has been violently murdered and this thread has been diverted.
                      It was a politically motivated murder... The only way this thread can be diverted is if we all pretend it wasn't what it was.

It seems it's ok to ignore the obvious because he was either mentally disturbed or member of a far right group. The whole problem of the inflamtary language Fargae uses is the potential affect it will have on society and most of all, the weak minded and the potential outcomes. The end game of that being what has happened.

But we can all keep pretending there are no links... Nothing like burying the truth just so the out campaign doesn't suffer a bit of damage.

Happy to believe Jo Cox would of wanted the truth to be told.... And the obvious not to be ignored...

Hopefully, in her memory, minds will be a little more focused on the truths of this campaign rather than the hate Farage has been spreading. As her husband said. Uniting against this hate is what she would of wanted. His words were clear. You are all free to pretend otherwise.

The only people trying to make political ground off this are the ones who want to pretend the obvious isn't obvious to help protect their own political wants.
                      Last edited by dx4100; 18 June 2016, 19:17.

Comment

Working...
                      X