• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Long breaks on CV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chutley View Post
    Appreciate advice from those who have trodden this path.
    If anyone asks, just tell them you've been dieting....

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
      "Moved house, needed a rest from the stress"
      "I can't hack it and needed to recharge batteries"
      "I can't hack it and I've been pushing to go direct"
      "I've been playing in chess tournaments so am really fun at parties and fit in well with clients"
      "I've been writing a script" of excuses to automate explanations why I cant get a gig
      FTFY

Seriously I feel it is all a state of mind I took 4 months off last year, was getting work, any sort of work high on my am I bothered list no it was not.

Be positive
      Think do I find work easily yes.
      Am I good at what I do? damn right I am!

OP
      Bugger off to SA
      You might like it so much you stay there - must be work out there as well surely.
      So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Even 6 weeks off can make onboarding in FS difficult.

Do you have a very friendly client? I have one where I have had a contract for years, yet sometimes I might go 6 months or more without actually doing anything for them... but I am still "Principal Consultant at xxx" and their supply chain will confirm that if asked.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
          Was concerned about this also. I have a few responses:

"Moved house, needed some work on it"
          "I needed to recharge batteries"
          "I've been pushing to go direct"
          "I've been playing in chess tournaments"
          "I've been writing a script" (plan b)

Not sure how the pimps will see those reasons which are all true and a gig I applied for wanted BPSS, been fine when did it in the past but not sure they'll like the 5 month gap now.

Ho hum!

qh
          Doing up the new house can cover a good few months, used that one before when i took a long stint off. Alternatively you could say you went to LA to make it in Hollywood...

Comment

Actually last year I have to admit I did use a variation

After several years of very long hours often away from home, 3 boisterous teenagers, umpteen dogs and various domestic animals some of which lived outside. My current home really did need some TLC, especially the stables the conservatory (still wip that) and one particularly evil ex teens bedroom.

So I took 4 months off doing some serious DIY last year and that is what I said when asked.
            Last edited by DallasDad; 30 April 2016, 08:17. Reason: typo tool!
            So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Was asked this very afternoon when on the phone to an agent. Told him I'd had a holiday, done some work around the place, done some work on Plan B. He lost interest quite rapidly, as they all do, and we got on to the important business of telling him how wonderful I am.

I hardly ever take a break of less than three months between contracts. I'm not often asked about them, and when I am, some vague stuff like that always suffices. I strongly suspect that most clients - or most of my clients, at any rate - never even notice, as it's only really agents who ask for the most part.

Comment

I doubt 5 years is going to look favourably for me

Comment

Originally posted by unemployed View Post
                  I doubt 5 years is going to look favourably for me

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
                    Trouble is I hate riding bikes
                    Apart from the fleshy squidgy kind

Comment

Perhaps use a section break instead of a page break??
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X