• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • FREE webinar: What does a post IR35 reform CV look like? : Wed, Jul 28, 2021 7:15 PM - 8:15 PM BST More details here.

Britain would go to the ‘back of the queue' for US trade deals post-Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Britain would go to the ‘back of the queue' for US trade deals post-Brexit

    link


    Presumably that means we'll also be at the back of the queue next time the US needs a lapdog to go to war with

    #2
    I really don't see this having the desired effect among those with an ounce of intelligence. This will have been choreographed to within an inch of its life, coordinated and orchestrated down to punctuation of the "killer" lines. The thing about our prospects for a trade deal with the US is that there aren't any, so it's moot. And so what? You don't need a trade deal to trade, as evidenced by the facts on the ground. All this will do is reinforce the anti-establishment feeling around the debate and irritate a few people that were otherwise on the fence.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      I really don't see this having the desired effect among those with an ounce of intelligence. This will have been choreographed to within an inch of its life, coordinated and orchestrated down to punctuation of the "killer" lines. The thing about our prospects for a trade deal with the US is that there aren't any, so it's moot. And so what? You don't need a trade deal to trade, as evidenced by the facts on the ground. All this will do is reinforce the anti-establishment feeling around the debate and irritate a few people that were otherwise on the fence.
      BBC are gloating that bammy couldn't have done Camoron a bigger favour

      I think you're right but it does read as if he's holding a gun to our head. Hopefully that can only backfire.

      Comment


        #4
        Seems obvious to me. And it's not just Obama, the Republicans think the same. I've posted about this at length today on this forum, even before he said what he said.
        It's all about clout, economic power and the size of markets. That's the world we live in. Why the shock and surprise? What would you do if you were US president?
        And to the OP who talks about going to war, economic weakness is not conducive to military power.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

        Comment


          #5
          Obama has to be one of, if not the worst US presidents ever. Throughly 'anti-american'.
          I'll be glad to see the backs of he and his wookie.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
            BBC are gloating that bammy couldn't have done Camoron a bigger favour

            I think you're right but it does read as if he's holding a gun to our head. Hopefully that can only backfire.
            I don't think it will necessarily backfire, but I don't think it moves the needle either way. As I say, it will irritate a few people, but Obama - while more respected here than in the US - isn't seen as an independent voice. Everyone knows the choreography that takes place at the highest level of international politics. Anyway, he owed hamface a favour after calling him out for the turdstorm in Libya. Behind the scenes, world leaders have a healthy degree of contempt for his holding this referendum in the first place, but they'll do the needful in the run-up to the referendum. It will be interesting to see if they choreograph an intervention from Merkel. In any case, it would've been naive to assume anything different. The full force of the gov't machine was always going to stack the odds in their favour. That isn't the story. The story is the extent to which the Tories will implode after June 23. I think everyone is underestimating the fallout from that possibility.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Seems obvious to me. And it's not just Obama, the Republicans think the same. I've posted about this at length today on this forum, even before he said what he said.
              It's all about clout, economic power and the size of markets. That's the world we live in. Why the shock and surprise? What would you do if you were US president?
              And to the OP who talks about going to war, economic weakness is not conducive to military power.
              What about freedom, democracy and accountability?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                Obama has to be one of, if not the worst US presidents ever. Throughly 'anti-american'.
                I'll be glad to see the backs of he and his wookie.
                Was Dubya properly American?
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
                  What about freedom, democracy and accountability?
                  You want freedom, democracy and accountability.
                  Fair enough, vote Brexit (although I don't think you'll get it even then).
                  But don't think those values are compatible with power and influence, never have been in history and never will be.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

                  Comment


                    #10


                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X