• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

We must build on the green belt to end this housing crisis

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    The one thing that London companies could do is to embrace more home based working that would then allow people anywhere in in the world to compete for jobs, doesn't need the sodding train lines and reduces traffic.

FTFY
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      FTFY
      Sadly true but if that means I can sod off and live in a warm place and commute in sandals all year round thats fine.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Which is why London is full of Investment banks, hedge funds, government and royalty?

People are attracted to it as it has "critical mass". Which is why HS2 must never be built - it will suck the intelligent people out of Birmingham. Only AtW will be left.

If you built a high speed rail link between Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham. And sited parliament in the middle. Then London would die.
        They're better off building a high speed rail link serving Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds. The commute between them in a car is shocking, then there's the parking at destination, which isn't a gimme. Leave Birmingham to forge proper local rapid links with Coventry and Nottingham on a west to east link like the one above. Combined with west coast and east coast high speed north to south links, you'd have a decent core rapid rail network.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I'm not sure you can even say it about St. Ives. More likely it is due to the very high holiday let prices. If you can get £1500pw and are happy with 5% ROI...

Is it though? It seems it must but it's seemed that way since before the banking crash.
          But surely these holiday lets are second homes?
          Last edited by Gumbo Robot; 22 April 2016, 13:07.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
            One of the better funds is based out of Oxfordshire so London is not the only place that funds can successfully live. But to get to your point.

All the other cities that could be great suffer from the fact that they are geographically reliant on cars as the main source of transport. It's all well and good saying look you can get to Manchester from Leeds, but if you are then faced rammed train car parks with a tulipty bus at the end of it or a cab no-one is going to be interested. The one thing that London companies could do is to embrace more home based working that would then allow people anywhere in England to compete for jobs, doesn't need the sodding train lines and reduces traffic.
            Main thing for hedge funds is reputation. Which is why most are based in Belgravia. It will be interesting to see if Blue Crest will now leave London as they no longer have external funds. I suspect they will be to attract top trader talent.

London is a nightmare for cars. People are cycling a lot more - and I think other cities would have an advantage.

Home based working is good. But I suspect jobs will quickly go offshore.

Comment

Working...
            X