• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If a Muslim gave a book to a Christian, it would be fine.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If a Muslim gave a book to a Christian, it would be fine.

NHS Christian worker loses appeal after 'giving book to Muslim colleague' - BBC News

Not necessarily.

If the Christian was like one of those born again types who take their employer to court for not being able to wear a cross or for having to treat gay people equally they wouldn't be.

If they were like my local C of E vicar they would be.

Anyway with these cases there is always more going on especially in the NHS and other public sector organisations.

It's more likely the Christian in this case probably annoyed her agnostic and atheist colleagues but especially managers but as they weren't religious they were told they couldn't complain about it using religious discrimination. However as soon as a colleague who is clearly religious complained then her employer could do something.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If you're in a position of superiority over somewhere in a public organisation, you have to be very careful about expressing any personal opinions not relating directly to your profession, especially during work hours. In some ways this is reasonable to prevent inappropriate behaviour from a position in power.

Unfortunately, what is appropriate changes over time. What this women did would not, say 30 years so, have raised any eyebrows. Frankly I find it all a bit nanny-state, and think it's stupid that discussing religion is off limits. Soon it'll be politics and cookery we're not allowed to talk about. The weather as a topic should remain safe.

Hopefully in 30 years time it won't result in the Christian being murdered for attempted proselytism.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

"She had worked at the trust for seven years when in June 2013 she was suspended and investigated for gross misconduct over allegations of bullying and harassment.

"Her colleague had written an eight-page letter of complaint containing allegations Miss Wasteney was trying to convert her by routinely asking her to pray and giving her a book about a Muslim woman converting to Christianity.

"She also alleged an incident when Miss Wasteney put her hand on her knee in a prayer that lasted for 10 minutes, asking God to come to her. The colleague said she felt like she was being groomed.

"In an exclusive interview with Victoria Derbyshire, Miss Wasteney said she was surprised by the allegations as she thought she and her colleague had become friends over 18 months."
        - Christian health worker says NHS made her 'look crazy' - BBC News
        Pretty sure that a Muslim, Pagan, Buddhist, or even an atheist who acted like that at work for a year-and-a-half would find themselves in hot water

Comment

Better to hear the good news than being left in your sins... to slowly be dragged under the unescapable hot pit of thick darkness.

Comment

It was the same story when I offered to straighten out the office lezzer. Some people just don't want helping.

Comment

I was given one of these easy read for non Muslim's Quran books by some colleagues I was working with when I was out in Egypt. I did show a lot if interest in their culture and ways though so I was quite touched. Never read it to be fair but the thought was nice.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

She can give me a "book" anytime she wants.....

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I was given one of these easy read for non Muslim's Quran books by some colleagues I was working with when I was out in Egypt. I did show a lot if interest in their culture and ways though so I was quite touched. Never read it to be fair but the thought was nice.
                  So did I. I passed it onto my accountant for comment.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    She can give me a "book" anytime she wants.....
                    Haynes manual on Greasing the big end?

Comment

Working...
                    X