• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why I'll be voting to stay in Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    How are assets worth less? Your house will still be the same value in pounds, it just would be less expensive for a overseas buyer. Other assets, such as gold, are priced in USD. If you bought goods made overseas, or priced in another currency, then they would be more expensive. More to the point, you are assuming that the pound would drop and stay low. It's trading 1.29 against the Euro. In 2009 it was near parity.
    You bar steward, letting facts get in the way of a good story
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
      How are assets worth less? Your house will still be the same value in pounds, it just would be less expensive for a overseas buyer. Other assets, such as gold, are priced in USD. If you bought goods made overseas, or priced in another currency, then they would be more expensive. More to the point, you are assuming that the pound would drop and stay low. It's trading 1.29 against the Euro. In 2009 it was near parity.
      French wine won't be more expensive ? doubt wine producers would give a 30% discount.

Foreign holidays, petrol (oil priced in dollars)

Foreign cars, foreign goods generally, the list goes on.

Only the Euro area would you largely be immune from depreciation because it's relatively self sufficient, you can get more or less what you want from the Euro zone.

Of course someone who lives on Shepherds pie and drives an Austin Princess made from raw materials mined in Britain won't be affected.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

and here's another one

U.K. Economy Suffering as Growth Slows - Bloomberg Business

Economists in a Bloomberg survey in February said a vote to leave — a “Brexit” — would dramatically increase the chance of a recession.
        Coupled with a crippling depreciation of the pound would certainly would be a "toxic" economic cocktail

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          and here's another one

U.K. Economy Suffering as Growth Slows - Bloomberg Business

Coupled with a crippling depreciation of the pound would certainly would be a "toxic" economic cocktail

Depreciation of the pound isn't bad as it should increase exports and maintain employment (although admittedly imports are more expensive).

Why do you think every country and bloc, including the US, China, and yes the EU, is actively trying to depreciate their currency?

To see the results of a historically strong currency, you only have to look at the EU with its 10% unemployment, which is nearly double the UK's
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Will VAT revert back to being called Purchase Tax and will it drop to below 15% (the lower limit set by the EU)? Inquiring minds want to know. In fact will the pound revert back to pre-decimalisation and be once again worth 240d? Will there be shillings and farthings too? Will British Leyland also make a comeback? Sorry, just starting to get carried away there although I suspect the Alf Garnetts on here are suddenly thinking, oooh, Double Diamond
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              Will VAT revert back to being called Purchase Tax and will it drop to below 15% (the lower limit set by the EU)? ...
              I think I'm right in saying the VAT rate can't be reduced at all while we're in the EU. It is a ratchet.

So unless we leave we're permanently stuck with 20% VAT, or whatever even higher rate Gidiot decides to impose.

Yet another reason to vote "exit".
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                I think I'm right in saying the VAT rate can't be reduced at all while we're in the EU. It is a ratchet.

So unless we leave we're permanently stuck with 20% VAT, or whatever even higher rate Gidiot decides to impose.

Yet another reason to vote "exit".
                And then the Chancellor of the Exchequer who is appointed by the democratically elected Prime Minister can then raise it even further, citing the cost of leaving the EU as part of his lie
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I will admit to having a bit of a bias, this is my old school:

Anglo European School

And this is what was on the school tie:

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    I will admit to having a bit of a bias, this is my old school:

Anglo European School

And this is what was on the school tie:

Makes me feel quite ill and want to vote out.

Basically which side annoys me the most with their fear tactics before I vote will cause me to vote the opposite way.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      No it doesn't.

I've had things like private physio, dental treatment and blood tests.

My private treatment ensures that the physio, dentist and lab can still provide NHS facilities because they earn enough not to go fully private.
                      Well those sound like extras, so that's fair enough, but if everyone went private for that stuff then the end result would be an impression that the NHS doesn't need as much funding. Use it or lose it, says I.

Comment

Working...
                      X