• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google boss doesn't know what his salary is

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google boss doesn't know what his salary is

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Yup

Also conceptualised, designed and built the train, the tracks, dug the coal out of the ground etc etc
    No, the Boomer's parents did all that, then the boomer kids thought they knew it all, raced down the tracks at wreck less speed, polluting, making lots of noise, taking it to tulipville. No coal left, dirty, broken train. And they want a lift home, but won't pay the petrol money.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Your microcomputer is still working then?

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
        No, the Boomer's parents did all that, then the boomer kids thought they knew it all, raced down the tracks at wreck less speed, polluting, making lots of noise, taking it to tulipville. No coal left, dirty, broken train. And they want a lift home, but won't pay the petrol money.
        I thought there was about 300 years of coal left?

I would dig that out now for power stations. While we build loads of fracking infrastructure. And nuclear plants.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
          Your microcomputer is still working then?
          I can't deny I loved my C64.

Comment

Originally posted by Tensai View Post
            I haven't seen the footage of his grilling so don't know the background to the question. Was there are relevant context to that question, or was the committee member simply trying to make him feel uncomfortable?

My immediate reaction would have been "why is that relevant?" Is there a legal obligation to answer ANY question posed?
            It was painful and the chairwoman was downright rude. Google paid its taxes according to the tax laws which are so woolly and full of holes that, half the time, HMRC struggle to negotiate their way around them. To ask someone their salary in a public forum is completely unacceptable - it had absolutely no bearing at all on the matters in hand - it was just HMG trying to put the boot in to get a good soundbite. Most of the people asking questions didn't wait to listen to the answers - not that they would have been likely to have understood them if they had and there was a lot of spoffling on about morality and public outrage. Personally I don't think that big business is the problem - it is an extremely complex tax system which, if it were simpler, would be less open to abuse
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

I disagree - his salary should be public knowledge (aren't all ceo's public). And he should be able to give an estimate at the very least if asked by HMG.

Completely agree with the tax point. Way too big, way too many holes.

Comment

I disagree - his salary should be public knowledge (aren't all ceo's public). And he should be able to give an estimate at the very least if asked by HMG.

Completely agree with the tax point. Way too big, way too many holes.
                Sorry but businesses should be accountable to their shareholders and not to Government unless they break the law

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  I thought there was about 300 years of coal left?

I would dig that out now for power stations. While we build loads of fracking infrastructure. And nuclear plants.
                  At current usage rates I think we have approx 60 years of coal reserves (proven) in the UK.

I would imagine that if we went looking there would be alot more than that although, the cost to extract could be crippling.

I would sooner keep what coal reserves remain for use in times of war and famine.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                    Sorry but businesses should be accountable to their shareholders and not to Government unless they break the law
                    IMHO, that is a big part of the problem with modern capitalism.

Comment

IMHO, that is a big part of the problem with modern capitalism.
                      What do you think qualifies Government to interfere in business? Career politicians (which we seem to have quite a few of at the moment) surely can have little useful input

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                      X