• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tory Tax Cuts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tory Tax Cuts

Have to admit that this £21 billion in tax cuts that was hypothetically proposed by the Tax Review group of the Tories has some interesting measures.

Tax reductions:
    Abolish inheritance tax.
    Reduce lowest rate of income tax to 20%
    Reduce corporation tax to 25%
    Remove child 'credits' for those earning over £25,000

Tax increases:
    Increase green taxes

It seems to be the country prospers when government reduces the tax burden and does not involve itself in your day to day affairs (i.e. taking a guy to court for not filling a recycling bag properly).

Tax and spend has always historically failed. Spending on the NHS has virtually doubled, and the NHS has virtually collapsed. Despite all that money, there will be around 10,000 to 20,000 job losses amongst nurses, auxillaries etc. PFI has meant we will simply be paying more for hospitals in the long term.

A lot of the tax take is wasted on beurocracy... and of course public sector pension schemes will be in a shambles with the massive increase in its workforce of 5 a day co-ordinators....

The Tory tax cuts would certainly encourage businesses to stay here, especially if there is a reduction in red tape and comparatively low tax burden with other EU countries. Who knows, maybe Royal Doulton, Dyson and TVR would even still be built in Britain.

The biggest win though is in just simplifying the tax system. Do away with the complicated system of 'tax credits', reduce means testing, look at flat rates of taxation, reduce beurocracy and those it employs.

Rather than people moving here to work cash in hand we want inward investment creating jobs for UK workers.

I think Camerons strategy was basically sound - don't announce your plans too early - and it's a shame that the Tories appear to be shooting themselves in the foot again by bringing this out now, but hopefully some common sense will prevail and the country wont continue to be taxed to its knees.
    Vieze Oude Man

Nooooooo! If the Tories abolish inheritance tax it can only mean I will be popping my clogs a month earlier.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
      Who knows, maybe Royal Doulton, Dyson and TVR would even still be built in Britain.
      TVR would not, but good to hear about cut taxes - though they need to cut CT for small companies further - 19% is a murder, ffs, only thought of that I either have to spend all company money on salary/equipment or get taxed for being prudent and keeping cash in the bank in case cashflow will be interrupted, ffs: CT should only be charged if dividends are paid.

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
        It seems to be the country prospers when government reduces the tax burden and does not involve itself in your day to day affairs (i.e. taking a guy to court for not filling a recycling bag properly).
        I'm not saying I disagree, but that's a bit of a broad brush there: I don't see how a Tory government in the Westminster Playhouse would stop Swansea council from enforcing their recycling rules.

Comment

Maybe

Originally posted by expat
          I'm not saying I disagree, but that's a bit of a broad brush there: I don't see how a Tory government in the Westminster Playhouse would stop Swansea council from enforcing their recycling rules.
          By cutting the budget of the Swansea council if they dont follow "guidelines". Usually works.
          There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan
            By cutting the budget of the Swansea council if they dont follow "guidelines". Usually works.
            Telegraph:

"David Cameron sought to position the Conservatives as the greenest party yesterday by paving the way for new taxes on pollution, including a likely levy on air travel."

You might think that the Tories would lean on councils to allow residents to spoil recycling by placing recyclables in the wrong bag (thus polluting tha bag and in practice removing it all from recycling), but I am not certain that this will be part of their policy.

Many here seem to have the general feeling that they don't like government messing around with trivial interference in people's lives, and that the Tories would be OK in that respect. Personally I share the first feeling but not the second.

Comment

Bah, the country needs another maggie thatcher in office so she can take her "mining" axe and apply it to the civil service!

Although...increasing green taxes is absolute rubbish, or is this just a cynical ploy to get the green vote?

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                You might think that the Tories would lean on councils to allow residents to spoil recycling by placing recyclables in the wrong bag (thus polluting tha bag and in practice removing it all from recycling), but I am not certain that this will be part of their policy.
                I can see that putting your kid's smelly nappies in the recycling bag contaminates it, but anyone who can seriously stand up and say that mixing up different forms of recycling is contamination is not sufficiently intelligent to be qualified to work for a council in an administrative position IMHO.

Other councils manage to sort paper from tins, the Germans have been doing it for 20 years. All councils should be forced to use the same simple recycling rules I.e:
                1) exactly the same list of things that can/can't be recycled.
                2) all things to be delivered in the same receptacle (at the discretion of the customer).

If councils want to "add on" nice to haves, they can, but there must be no sanctions for non compliance.

tim

Comment

It was very depressing watching the BBC 6 o'clock news last nights. All the trolls interviewed said that the NHS must not be harmed. It looks like the brainwashing is almost universal.

I remember that last 1% NI rise earmaked for the NHS it was actually more that the private health insurance premium I was also paying. As I was already paying to fund the NHS through NI it now feels as though I am paying three times over.

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
                    I can see that putting your kid's smelly nappies in the recycling bag contaminates it, but anyone who can seriously stand up and say that mixing up different forms of recycling is contamination is not sufficiently intelligent to be qualified to work for a council in an administrative position IMHO.

Other councils manage to sort paper from tins, the Germans have been doing it for 20 years. All councils should be forced to use the same simple recycling rules I.e:
                    1) exactly the same list of things that can/can't be recycled.
                    2) all things to be delivered in the same receptacle (at the discretion of the customer).
                    When I lived in Germany the householders did the sorting, not the councils. We had four different coloured bins and put the waste in the appropriate one.

They also had a monthly rag-and-bone collection for large items of waste, like busted furniture, which we in England would normally take up the tip.

Comment

Working...
                    X