• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Corruption at work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    People might think the job of the big consultancies is to get the job done, but their real role is to get as many of their consultants on the project as possible.

A few projects ago, one of the big system integrators kindly gave us a couple of graduates to use. Cost the project £500 a day each to do little more than filing and learn as much as they could "on the job".
    And to get more more work packages from the client. I've seen some big consultancies use that as their ONLY role, once they are 'in', they don't have to worry about the deliverables of the original work package, as it's so bloody difficult to boot them out.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Indeed, my last place, 25 of them, no one knew what they did, took the (rubbish) management three months to realise and get them out.

The place before it was the management (permie) who set up the consultancy and delivered a few apps that require permanent on site support - genius

Comment

A mate of my mate Cookie put forward this idea of providing testers to a big Mobile Phone company he was working for. He wanted my company to act as the front. I had zero confidence he could ever get this past the heirachy - Finance, PSL etc. As he was thinking in some tens of high margin people, I couldn't take the risk of it all blowing up.

Guess what?

He made over a million.
        "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
          People might think the job of the big consultancies is to get the job done, but their real role is to get as many of their consultants on the project as possible.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Well when you consider that the big consultancies are companies and therefore want to make a profit.

They make that money out of the companies they consult for therefore it is completely in their best interests to drag the project out as long as possible- even to the point of making it fail as long as they cannot be blamed for it.

So like the situation we are in now when you start to try to pin them down to deliverables you end getting more and more different 'project artefacts' with convoluted clauses in simply designed to ensure their asses are covered.

So you spend thousands playing games which really do not help towards the goal.

So why get them in in the first place? Well it is not possible the execs could actually go with the recommendations of the staff is it - as that would imply the staff are of similar value...

Ho hum

Comment

Anyone seen "House of Lies", especially the first series? Hilarious levels of cynicism and corruption.

House of Lies is an American comedy television series created by Matthew Carnahan.[1] The show, which premiered on Showtime on January 8, 2012, is based on the book, House of Lies: How Management Consultants Steal Your Watch and Then Tell You the Time, written by Martin Kihn, a former consultant at Booz Allen Hamilton. It follows a group of management consultants who stop at nothing to get business deals done.
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Lies

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
                Anyone seen "House of Lies", especially the first series? Hilarious levels of cynicism and corruption.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Lies
                Thanks! Will take a look at this!

Comment

Working...
                X