• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Tories have 'killed buy-to-let for the middle-classes'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    House prices in the south of England are expensive. Period (as the yanks like to say).

Even when you look at less salubrious places like Swindon and Westbury. You get **** all for huge money. (Am I the only person who still thinks quarter of a million pounds is a lot of money?)

Fact is, you need two professional earners on higher tax wages to afford something extremely mediocre. And the deposit is huge. So if you don't have BOMAD or inheritance; you are pretty much fvcked.

I don't give a flying **** if I could buy a whole street in Barnsley. I have no family, friends, or job prospects up there.

So cramming into the South, all the jobs, immigrants, BTL, baby boomers, and young hopefuls; is one huge **** up.

Move all of government out of London up to Sheffield.

Close our fvcking borders TODAY.

And **** BTL they have raped this country.

HTH.
    4 Bed detached in Milton Keynes, not up north and only 30 minutes on the train into London, £250k! 4 bedroom detached house for sale in Coles Avenue, Leadenhall, Milton Keynes, MK6

Two people both earning average UK wage of £28k per year monthly take home = £1800 each. Cost to buy a £250k home with a £225k help to buy mortgage is £1000 per month. £3600 total monthly income minus mortgage = £2600 per month to live on after mortgage.

So sorry to me the maths do add up, how is that not affordable? Where is the issue? BTL raped the country, please....
    Last edited by smalldog; 1 December 2015, 10:23.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
      £2600 per month to live on after mortgage.
      So sorry to me the maths do add up, how is that not affordable? Where is the issue?
      Sounds peachy, you have also highlighted one of the issues, you will need a help to buy mortgage to do it.

i.e. funded by the tax payer.

Like you said, wheres the problem..
      Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 1 December 2015, 10:23.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
        Sounds peachy, you have also highlighted one of the issues, you will need a help to buy mortgage to do it.

i.e. funded by the tax payer.

Like you said, wheres the problem..
        saying worst case cos of course as someone was no doubt going to chip in and say how can they get a deposit...Ok put down a 5% deposit you can get 95% mortgages now. if you cant SAVE £12K LIVE WITH YOUR PARENTS AND SAVE UP LIKE I HAD TOO!!!

and yes some people aspire to own a 4 bed so it is peachy in their book, there are obviously cheaper smaller houses available. So I really dont buy anyone arguing property is too expensive and they cant afford it and it isnt all in the outer hebrides, its 30 mins from London for gods sake!

3 bed in Basildon £250k: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-36593628.html

Again i guess not suitable for some reason or another....30 minutes into London
        Last edited by smalldog; 1 December 2015, 10:33.

Comment

saying worst case cos of course as someone was no doubt going to chip in and say how can they get a deposit...Ok put down a 5% deposit you can get 95% mortgages now. if you cant SAVE £12K LIVE WITH YOUR PARENTS AND SAVE UP LIKE I HAD TOO!!!
          And yet you are saying there is no problem, you are very deluded, my friend.

95% mortgages, do you remember how we ended up in recession in the first place?

So I really dont buy anyone arguing property is too expensive and they cant afford it
          You are obviously at odds with a lot of people that live in the South then?
          Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 1 December 2015, 10:33.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

The selfie stick generation are "special", their New Labour ejukashion told them all their lives. Now they are all victims.

It's this, or nothing I'm afraid.

8 bedroom detached house for sale in Windlesham Court, Snows Ride, Windlesham, Surrey, GU20, GU20

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              If you can't afford that, you should have worked harder at school and paid attention.
              You keep repeating this sasguru nonsense. He has left now - you can have an opinion of your own.

There are plenty of grads working in service industries. I saw an article once about an Oxford maths grad with a lower second who was working in pizza express. As a waiter.

IMO the bigger issue is that young people do not vote. So the politicians give them a good kicking. It does not make it right. But it is the reality.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                And yet you are saying there is no problem, you are very deluded, my friend.

95% mortgages, do you remember how we ended up in recession in the first place?

You are obviously at odds with a lot of people that live in the South then?
                I most certainly am not, two of my friends are married teachers in Brighton, one has just graduated, they arent on big money but they have bought a cottage in the country near brighton and are doing quite nicely. They arent whinging about not being able to afford a house in central London.

Yes I do remember the recession, it was caused by rampant interest rates, nothing to do with 95% mortgages. They were giving 100% and up when that was happening.
                Last edited by smalldog; 1 December 2015, 10:38.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  The selfie stick generation are "special", their New Labour ejukashion told them all their lives. Now they are all victims.

It's this, or nothing I'm afraid.

8 bedroom detached house for sale in Windlesham Court, Snows Ride, Windlesham, Surrey, GU20, GU20
                  New liebour may have told them they were special. But the policies towards them were not good. They should have tackled too fast house price rises.

Comment

"It means I have no respect whatsoever. "

to me it means on this subject specifically I dont agree. LEt me rephrase it "With all due respect in areas other than this one"

to me its all about London and it has two facets, one being you cant expect to afford to live where the hell you like, thats just daft, second is its not all down to BTL properties. A proportion maybe but there are institutions and wealth from abroad driving the prices up. Im not so naive to suggest BTL is fluffy and all good, but it does serve a purpose for a lot of people who want to rent something privately and decent that are maybe on their way to buying.
                    This is general. If there is any respect you are bonkers!

If young people rent they will never be able to afford to buy. It is just wasted money. House prices can only go up - the government will never let the great Ponzi scheme die.

They need to buy something. Anything. Then trade up.

Comment

I most certainly am not, two of my friends are married teachers in Brighton, one has just graduated, they arent on big money but they have bought a cottage in the country near brighton and are doing quite nicely. They arent whinging about not being able to afford a house in central London.

Yes I do remember the recession, it was caused by rampant interest rates, nothing to do with 95% mortgages. They were giving 100% and up when that was happening.
                      Indeed. Anyone else remember the Northern Rock 125% mortgages? That ended well didn't it? Who was that poster who got creamed on the shares? Cyberman? The one who coined the chutney spoon phrase?

Comment

Working...
                      X