• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where to live?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• portseven
    replied
    Try Northern Ireland ... 12.5% Corporation Tax!!!

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    If work was always near Reading station then maybe these ideas would be worthwhile. But back to the original spec of somewhere within roughly an hours drive where is the cheapest place? OK will accept somewhere where all the schools are 2, but keeping away from the 3's and 4's (to do a big picture scan like this its necessary). When there is a shortlist of places more investigation can be done.

Leave a comment:

• I just need to test it
    replied
    Where to live?

Bristol is an hour away from Reading. And when that fancy-dan railway electrification happens it'll be 15 minutes less.
    Last edited by I just need to test it; 27 November 2015, 07:06.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by MarkT View Post
    Trust me, having a 1 on the Ofsted just proves they are particularly good at lying to the inspectors. My eldest has been bullied out of three schools because of his Autism, by far the worst was the cat 1 school. Arrogant doesn't describe the head.
    Better off going to the school as the kids come out and see what's going on and talk to existing parents.
    This also happened to my autistic son - who is now at secondary.

My wife's best friend talked us through the OSFTED complaint process and the best way of phrasing the complaint. The school dropped a grade the next year.

Leave a comment:

• MarkT
    replied
    Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    Where to live
    So an IT worker, working along the M4 corridor, mostly working in and around Reading. 2 kids one primary and one secondary.
    Want a 3 bed semi with garage and drive, guaranteed catchment area access to an ofsted rated one (or two at a push if absolutely essential but no worse) primary and secondary school. Want to live within walking distance to a train station.
    Within commuting distance (say an hour by car) of such jobs, and meeting these requirements, where is the cheapest place to live? Or selection of the cheapest places?
    Any ideas?
    Cheers
    Trust me, having a 1 on the Ofsted just proves they are particularly good at lying to the inspectors. My eldest has been bullied out of three schools because of his Autism, by far the worst was the cat 1 school. Arrogant doesn't describe the head.
    Better off going to the school as the kids come out and see what's going on and talk to existing parents.

Leave a comment:

• GlenW
    replied
    Originally posted by GJABS View Post
    I've lived there for 45 years
    Best you can hope for is to be the exception that proves the rule then.
    Last edited by GlenW; 26 November 2015, 16:03.

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    Originally posted by GlenW View Post
    Just make sure you avoid Tadley like the plague! ******* tulip hole populated by ******* retarded arseholes.
    I've lived there for 45 years

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Close to M4, good school, got to be Eton, surely?

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Slough, Burnham, Langley

or preferably

Wraysbury, Maidenhead, Wokingham, Finchampstead.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post
    Westbury, Wiltshire.

You'd get a nice charcter detached property for the price of your semi in Berkshire.

Get the train to reading @ 1 hour.
    Westbury is an armpit.

OP - Look at Hungerford...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X