• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Eye watering car repair

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Mine is exactly the same.

They even give me the mileage on each tyre. Oddly they don't need to advertise unlike a couple of the other garages.........
    FLC went to the same garage and asked for the mileage and a quote for everyone of his tyres. Looked him up and down and advised him they don't the time to provide that...

Muahahahahha boom boom... Geddit.. His tyres!! Damn I'm good.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by mdhd View Post
    I love my indy garage (so far), you tell them to do extra bits with MOT and they will tell you to sod off. Will only do minimum. Example: Brakes needed replacement, Halfords said brake pads and discs needed changing. They said, you "just" need brakepads for the front, and don't even think about buying pads for the rear. I said, "yes sir!".
    Mine is exactly the same.

They even give me the mileage on each tyre. Oddly they don't need to advertise unlike a couple of the other garages.........

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
    90k 2008. Probably worth about £4k.
    Once your car is worth less than 10K take it to an independent garage. If you don't know one ask people around you. Most people will only happily refer you on if they trust the garage.

Leave a comment:

• mdhd
    replied
    I love my indy garage (so far), you tell them to do extra bits with MOT and they will tell you to sod off. Will only do minimum. Example: Brakes needed replacement, Halfords said brake pads and discs needed changing. They said, you "just" need brakepads for the front, and don't even think about buying pads for the rear. I said, "yes sir!".

Leave a comment:

• rl4engc
    replied
    If you wanted to do a bit of tinkering, you can buy (I think they're called ODBC-II) devices that you plug in and an app on your phone will show you the exact diagnosis code, look this code up (Rav4 owners club type forums will help) and it will tell you the cause.

Or as others have said if you can find/know a good independent who's honest they'll do this for you.

I tend to go in in scruffy clothes, and have an air of "If it's like £2-300 or summat then fair enough, if it's gonna cost £1000 or summat daft I might as well get shut.." so they know you're not going to be spending loads. I've got an old Toyota and the only time I go to the main dealer is if I have to buy a genuine Toyota part.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    I'm sceptical about their diagnosis. They showed me some flow chart they'd followed & how they'd arrived at their conclusion. Didn't look like they'd done anything mechanical to achieve this.
    A flow chart... for car mechanics... I must remember to tell my mate (who runs his own garage) this.. he'll wet himself laughing..

Avoid main dealers at all costs and (as others have said) go to a good independent, with proper old school mechanics who know how to fault find and fix things.

Good luck

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    90k 2008. Probably worth about £4k.

I'm sceptical about their diagnosis. They showed me some flow chart they'd followed & how they'd arrived at their conclusion. Didn't look like they'd done anything mechanical to achieve this.
    Yeah.

The guy who "fixed" my boiler for £500 in parts followed a similar flow chart.

Needless to say, I'd wager that there was nothing wrong with the bits he changed, but moving something temporarily fixed the thing for 10 minutes or so.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Only £2k??? Give them £4k and light up a fine cigar with £50 note before you leave.

It's the contractor way. It's the only way.

HTH

threaded

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Looks like RAV4 EGR can be blanked too - not sure how you would get over the warning light - remove the bulb from the dash?

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
    There's also stuff you can buy to put in your fuel tank that cleans injectors. A tenner or thereabouts.
    We've gone from £2000 to, possibly, solving the problem for a tenner.

Who says there is no magic, anymore, here, on CUK

Leave a comment:

Working...
X