• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Crackdown on personal service companies could raise £400m in tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmm this would be an interesting business case. Get all the current contractors on PAYE = X tax receipts. They then have to balance that with all the VAT, Corp Tax for not only the contractors Ltd's but also all the accountants Ltd's, Contract service companies, umbrellas etc. = Y Tax receipts.

Bloody complex and maybe Im giving them too much credit for bothering to balance X with Y to see if HMG would be better off.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
      hmm this would be an interesting business case. Get all the current contractors on PAYE = X tax receipts. They then have to balance that with all the VAT, Corp Tax for not only the contractors Ltd's but also all the accountants Ltd's, Contract service companies, umbrellas etc. = Y Tax receipts.

Bloody complex and maybe Im giving them too much credit for bothering to balance X with Y to see if HMG would be better off.
      For a start the VAT mostly cancels, as my client will claim it as input tax.
      On PAYE most would be paying a lot more NI, if we are cheaper as permies then the savings will mean our clients pay the corp tax we currently pay.

The only thing to raise is genuine cases of work which will no longer be done in the UK, or enabling work that we do which makes UK companies more profitable.
      For instance my clients are manufacturers who actually export stuff.
      Making the UK (even) less competitive at manufacturing is not good.

Comment

Graundiad - seriously scary article

Crackdown on personal service companies could raise £400m in tax | Politics | The Guardian

"Amid fears that business will complain of fresh regulations, the government is proposing that a consultant using a personal service company would be obliged to move on to the payroll if they work for a business for more than a month. "

Paid leave? Sick pay? Pension contributions. Employment protection ? WTF does 'on the payroll' mean ?

Comment

Grauniad - seriously scary article

Crackdown on personal service companies could raise £400m in tax | Politics | The Guardian

"Amid fears that business will complain of fresh regulations, the government is proposing that a consultant using a personal service company would be obliged to move on to the payroll if they work for a business for more than a month. "

Paid leave? Sick pay? Pension contributions. Employment protection ? WTF does 'on the payroll' mean ?

Comment

Congrats, you win the worst spelling fail in a title and something like the 4th KUATB on this topic.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...-400m-tax.html
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Lightwave View Post
                For a start the VAT mostly cancels, as my client will claim it as input tax.
                On PAYE most would be paying a lot more NI, if we are cheaper as permies then the savings will mean our clients pay the corp tax we currently pay.

The only thing to raise is genuine cases of work which will no longer be done in the UK, or enabling work that we do which makes UK companies more profitable.
                For instance my clients are manufacturers who actually export stuff.
                Making the UK (even) less competitive at manufacturing is not good.
                reinforcing my point, lots of dynamics at play. Its not clear cut case.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                  No one actually thinks that they are going to end up on client co's headcount or actually get any benefits on top of their current rates, do they?
                  If it comes to pass, then that would certainly be a nuclear option.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Congrats, you win the worst spelling fail in a title and something like the 4th KUATB on this topic.
                    You should get out a bit more, and take a copy of Private Eye with you.

Comment

Anyone who thinks this will happen should not be working with sharp objects or any object, padded cell is needed.

Comment

Working...
                      X