• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Things People SAY

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me "Fancy a pint tomorrow at 1pm?"
    ANY of my Scottish mates "Aye. I'll see you the 'morn"
    Me "No. We're meeting at 1pm. That's the afternoon"
    AOMSM "Aye, the 'morn"
    Me "No. You're using 'morn as an abbreviation of morning, as in 'I'll see you in the morning'. We're meeting at 1pm".
    AOMSM "Och. F-yooo!"

Over the last 15 years, I have forced this conversation on more occasions than I have ended up having a pint with any of my Scottish mates.

Comment

"Specially designed" seems to be a new one.

WTF? If it's designed then it's already been done specially.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
        Me "Fancy a pint tomorrow at 1pm?"
        ANY of my Scottish mates "Aye. I'll see you the 'morn"
        Me "No. We're meeting at 1pm. That's the afternoon"
        AOMSM "Aye, the 'morn"
        Me "No. You're using 'morn as an abbreviation of morning, as in 'I'll see you in the morning'. We're meeting at 1pm".
        AOMSM "Och. F-yooo!"

Over the last 15 years, I have forced this conversation on more occasions than I have ended up having a pint with any of my Scottish mates.
        'the morn' is actually an abbreviated form of 'the morrow's morning' so you are both correct and incorrect in your statement as it alludes to both tomorrow and the morning. Its used to mean tomorrow though. different areas interchange 'the morra' and 'the morn'

i'm surprised you didn't get a response of 'Aye, the morra, back a wan' see you there wee man'
        If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. - Red Adair

Comment

oooh...

New and Improved!

one or the other FFS!

Also people who say 'You have two choices!'

No I have one choice, I may have multiple options but its still only one choice.
          If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. - Red Adair

Comment

I dunno sometimes it is good to use these phrases just to annoy pedantic tw@s who know full well what is being said but seem to think they must show off the obvious intellectual superiority by pointing out that the well know phrases you have just used is not factually correct.

Maybe it's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
              Next time you meet them lot, ask why their collective IQ as a nation is less than 20.

Comment

"We are where we are"

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                  Next time you meet them lot, ask why their collective IQ as a nation is less than 20.
                  Well I've covered the 20... doesn't look good for the rest of my countrymen...

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                    I am married to one of them. ALthough she never uses the 'morn phrase.

However we have a similarly tedious conversation almost every day. Tedious because I choose to make it so.

When getting 'the child' ready in the morning.

Wife "Can you put "child's" shoes on"
                    Me "They won't fit me"
                    Wife "On her"
                    Me "That's not what you said"

Every single day.
                    Last edited by JRCT; 30 October 2015, 16:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluespider View Post
                      'the morn' is actually an abbreviated form of 'the morrow's morning' so you are both correct and incorrect in your statement as it alludes to both tomorrow and the morning. Its used to mean tomorrow though. different areas interchange 'the morra' and 'the morn'

i'm surprised you didn't get a response of 'Aye, the morra, back a wan' see you there wee man'
                      I fink wot e's sayin', me old china, is it's all a gorn a bit farrer an' ball

Comment

Working...
                      X