• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Corbyn's question, taxes and "entitlement"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It's interesting (to me) actually, that right-wing people generally accuse left-wing/poor people of being jealous, and feeling entitled to money they've not earned. The stereotype is that the poor are bitter and feel it's unfair the rich have what they don't.

But equally, right-wing people are just as jealous and indignant about the poor "getting something they haven't earned". Even if helping the poor doesn't hurt their own pocket appreciably, they're bitter the poor don't have to work as hard as they have.

Like waiting for your neighbours to go out before setting off your fireworks so they can't enjoy them... it doesn't cost them anything but "it's not fair".
    What an extraordinary attitude. Effectively what you are saying is that those who wish to work should subsidise those that do not. The average wage in the UK is about £25,000 so if everyone accepted this then there could be no further redistribution. As this family seem to earn more than this amount who would feed their entitlement?
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      What an extraordinary attitude. Effectively what you are saying is that...
      Politician answer. Effectively you are saying is "the question you should have asked is..."

What I object to is a "loaded market" that is not free or fair. Those that want to work hard and better themselves find it increasingly difficult. Going on benefits has real appeal given that.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Politician answer. Effectively you are saying is "the question you should have asked is..."

What I object to is a "loaded market" that is not free or fair. .
        You mean the one that enables you to earn shed loads?
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          This is the problem with Corbyn. People's QE is great. But it needs to be tax cuts - not benefit increases.

Just as shocking is that people like her will let themselves into the spotlight. They should be ashamed.
          It's a bad idea; just less bad than effecting the same process via credit expansion, ie the status quo.

Comment

There is a lot of nonsense spoken about rich and poor , mostly because either side can use any emotive rubbish to justify their position. The real poor and real rich are actually only very small fractions of the population and any political decision taken on the basis of rich or poor arguments will have minor impact on the rest of us , governments who make political decisions based on such arguments are doing it simply for that reason , public attention , nothing else , two of the most banded about arguments of the last 5 years are "tax the rich" and "prosecute benefit cheats" they know dam well that taxing the small 1% of the population that have such wealth will bring in very little extra revenue to help those on lower incomes and the amount of effort in prosecuting people who defraud the state also brings in very little extra income, simply because they have no money or assets.

A large part of politics is all about kings clothes arguments that generally result in little change and extensively use right and wrong to suck people in to the dogma , it most always results in little or no change and just keeps politicians who love to harp on about the parity between what should be and what is, employed.

I'd rarther pay them an extra 10K just to STFU.
            Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              It's interesting (to me) actually, that right-wing people generally accuse left-wing/poor people of being jealous, and feeling entitled to money they've not earned. The stereotype is that the poor are bitter and feel it's unfair the rich have what they don't.

But equally, right-wing people are just as jealous and indignant about the poor "getting something they haven't earned". Even if helping the poor doesn't hurt their own pocket appreciably, they're bitter the poor don't have to work as hard as they have.

Like waiting for your neighbours to go out before setting off your fireworks so they can't enjoy them... it doesn't cost them anything but "it's not fair".
              The key thing you are missing is effort.

If the rich become rich by their own honest efforts then I won't be jealous.
              If the poor have a reasonable standard of living and work hard for it but need a small subsidy from me then I won't be jealous. I would prefer their employer paid them a living wage though.

Where I have a problem is with
              1. Person who has a subsidised council house in a nice area with 3 beds, husband & kids have left. She then refuses to leave and move into a flat as its her "home". That is selfish and I shouldn't be subsidising a life she can't afford.

2. Person who continues to breed 4+ children and has a nice 4 bedroom council house (she turned down 2 others because they weren't decorated) for her & the kids yet the "Turkey Baster" Boyfriend has his own council flat. She was most upset when her youngest went to school and the encouraged her into work.

3. Bob Crowe living in a subsidisd Council house despite earning > £150K.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                Where I have a problem is with

3. Bob Crowe living in a subsidisd Council house despite earning > £150K.
                He is not living there anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
                  I'd rarther pay them an extra 10K just to STFU.
                  Unfortunately they are rarely satisfied with just £10K

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    His family is, and I expect the kids have the option to take over the house at the subsidised rent.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      How do you know his body isn't occupying the house?

Comment

Working...
                      X