• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I stay or should I go (to America) ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You've not included the prowess/libido of GFP - Rather that simply saying Mrs USA could be horny 10% or 100% of the time, what %age does GFP rate at?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Where in the USA?

Nice part of California or some red neck hell hole?

USA is vast, climate, economy, house prices, gun nutters as diverse as the whole of Europe.
      Texas (= red-neck gun toting religious nutters)

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      3) Take current GF to America?
      Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      USA is not the UK, you can't just "bring your GF". Wife yes, but GF would need a residency visa otherwise she would only be allowed a holiday visa and would have to return to the UK and then apply for another holiday visa.
      Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
      Is GF Platypus definitely NOT up for a bit of time in America? then take her else 1a or 2a.
      Can't bring GF for the reasons mentioned, plus she has her own family and friends to leave behind as well as her job / career.

At present, (2) seems the most likely outcome although (2a) might be possible.

I'm 98% sure ClientCo will terminate my contract if I decline the job. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        You've not included the prowess/libido of GFP - Rather that simply saying Mrs USA could be horny 10% or 100% of the time, what %age does GFP rate at?
        She's a 100%

EDIT: But older than me, whereas US 'friend' is younger than me. Which is nice, or would be if she's a goer

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Plus the chicks love an English accent, I have to beat them off with a stick everytime I go over.
          Ladies saying "Hi Honey fancy a good time $500 Dorra" is not beating them off with a stick
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Job offer expected this week. I can,

(1) Move to the US as ClientCo permie, earn a lot, leave everything behind, dump the very nice GF Platypus before going, get there, work like a slave, be miserable, come back, lost everything. Optional: marry my US 'friend' who it turns out is a lunatic (as predicted on here) and/or frigid.

(2) Not move to the US, stay with GFP, likely have ClientCo say 'F you' and terminate my contract, be unemployed, lose everything.

Or another view,

(1a) Move to the US as ClientCo permie, earn a lot, leave everything behind, dump the very nice GF Platypus before going, get there, work like a slave, be happy, new life is a dream. Optional: marry my US 'friend' who it turns out is simply wonderful and a nymphomaniac.

(2a) Not move to the US, stay with GFP, likely have ClientCo say 'F you' and terminate my contract, find a new job (massively unlikely to be as well-paid as now, maybe in the local Waitrose), be employed, be happy (but poor) and thank my stars that I didn't emigrate.

I need to decide today.

What would you / Jesus / MF /Suity do ?

P.S. This really is my current situation
            The USA vs. UK.

Is there really a choice? the USA hands down. Get ur green card but don't become a citizen.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Texas.

No chance. I'd rather be unemployed and living in Luton.

Comment

Depends on the work visa he gets. But normally you have to be at a company for at least a year before they will offer you a US visa
                H1B

I would commute...

Plus the chicks love an English accent, I have to beat them off with a stick everytime I go over.
                GFP doesn't think commuting would work. It's a full-time US-based job and she thinks it unlikely that the relationship could sustain. She thinks I'd be likely to meet someone. She may have a point.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                  The USA vs. UK.

Is there really a choice? the USA hands down. Get ur green card but don't become a citizen.
                  If there were no GFP, I'd be over there like a shot.

Comment

Texas (= red-neck gun toting religious nutters)
                    That seems to only be in the rural areas. In the cities people are more normal. Considering that NASA is based in Houston. Are you going to be Austin?

Can't bring GF for the reasons mentioned, plus she has her own family and friends to leave behind as well as her job / career.

At present, (2) seems the most likely outcome although (2a) might be possible.

I'm 98% sure ClientCo will terminate my contract if I decline the job. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.
                    Can you show you are civil partners?? mind you I don't know if the USA will accept that type of relationship.

This all depends on how much you will regret not going...if even for a few months.
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Tell UK Doris you're only going for 3 months. If life is better in Texas don't come back, if its rubbish come back early

HTH

Comment

Working...
                      X