• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Petition to get the gov to reconsider the dividend tax changes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LondonManc
    replied
    I'd rather the agency/IR35 proposal got vetoed. We get very good tax breaks at the moment and while I'd know what to do better with 2k than gorgeous George, it's pin money compared to having to go inside IR35 and the expenses scheme.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    If we get to 1 Million?

"Black Mirror" The National Anthem (TV Episode 2011) - IMDb

Squeal little piggy?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I thought the 5K dividend band is within the existing income bands, not in addition to it? That's what makes it rather nasty.
    Perhaps you can't do what I said.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    WHS. You can earn £10K as salary plus £5K as dividends largely tax free. How much does any of this affect anyone on a low income?

The petition is a waste of time for sure, but if you're going to have a petition it would be better if it wasn't based on a lie.
    I thought the 5K dividend band is within the existing income bands, not in addition to it? That's what makes it rather nasty.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    WHS. You can earn £10K as salary plus £5K as dividends largely tax free. How much does any of this affect anyone on a low income?

The petition is a waste of time for sure, but if you're going to have a petition it would be better if it wasn't based on a lie.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NonnyMouse View Post
    Because the aim is to save you 2-3k of new tax each year.
    I hardly think lying about my situation to serve my own interests is a particularly noble demonstration of democracy.

It also weakens the petition to be built on untruths... they'll take one look and say "you contractors are not low-earners working long hours".

And people running a traditional small business, who do typically work extremely long hours for little income, are not really going to be affected to the same extent, if at all, because they are not maxing out their personal income to the higher rate using dividends.

Leave a comment:

• NonnyMouse
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Since I don't agree with most of that, and doubt many contractors would, why would I sign? It makes it sound like owning a business is pretty terrible, so I suggest those people stop doing something that makes them miserable .
    Because the aim is to save you 2-3k of new tax each year.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Life as a business owner means very long hours, low pay, stress, no holiday or sick pay & a life of uncertainty & worry.
    Since I don't agree with most of that, and doubt many contractors would, why would I sign? It makes it sound like owning a business is pretty terrible, so I suggest those people stop doing something that makes them miserable .

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Signed, but it's obvious Osborne won't give a flying fook, if anything he'd use it to show how few people pentitioned him and thus the changes are ok.
    Agreed, AtW, nobody gives a flying fook. We don't matter. We are not even targets, we're barely worth calling collateral damage. We think we are the much-vaunted flexible workforce, but we are in no way what people mean who use that phrase. Face it: nobody cares.

Some of us will continue. Some will go perm. Some will find other careers. Some will emigrate. Some will just quit. And nobody will notice. A few tens of thousands of contractors will be replaced from the subcontinent in the invisible blink of an eye.

Maybe quality of service will be lowered by diluting the skilled pool with less expensive resources: who will notice? Crap IT will be "IT is crap", it will not be "I wish we hadn't driven out all our home-grown flexible professionals".

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    If we get to 1 mln then Osborne will have to eat a guinea pig.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X