• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vauxhall and Sale of Goods Act

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vauxhall and Sale of Goods Act

Long story short.

We purchased a Zafira from a Vauxhall dealer (5k mileage), teh engine blew at 40k, out of warranty, Vauxhall were not prepared to fix even though full service history. Eventually they agreed to pay 50% as goodwill (Bill £4000). New engine provided by Vauxhall and fitted. 7.5k miles later (15 months) and teh cylinder head has cracked. Vauxhall only gave a 12montsh warranty, and again are refusing to resolve teh issue.

I am threatening them with the Sales of Goods Act 1979 (amended) via teh small claims court, because goods should be fit for purpose and of satisafactory quality, which after 7500 miles it clearly isnt.

Does anyone have any experience of using this act to resolve these types of issues via the small claims court?

I am also reporting teh issue to Motorcodes.

Any further recomendations or actions greatly received

cheers

Surely this is Cameron and Osbourne's fault?

Labour voter who buys a Vauxhall....

Comment

Taking teh piss.

Comment

I had a similar problem with my Land Rover a few years ago. Bought it new and it was just over 3 years old and < 60k miles when the engine blew. The garage point blank refused to help and said I would need to pay for the new engine myself as it was out of warranty.

I contacted Land Rover UK and they agreed it shouldn't have happened at < 60k miles and asked me to fill in an out of warranty claim form and they would pick up the tab. Just before I had heard back from them, a friend of my sister who had worked at a Land Rover garage got in touch. He told me about this little known out of warranty claim form and to mention it to the garage.

Long story short, they paid for the new engine which lasted another 60k miles before packing in. I just scrapped it for spares. The K series engine had a known fault but Land Rover wouldn't admit it officially so they just paid for a new engine when you complained to them.

I would ask you garage for an out of warranty claim form or contact the head office of Vauxhall and kick up a stink.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
          Taking teh piss.
          I knew he was a sockie. It took me this long to realise it's from the same stable as so many previous incarnations.

Comment

Should have bought a GT86. 5 year, 100,000 mile warranty.

You could have probably got a replacement s/h engine for much less outlay.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
              I knew he was a sockie. It took me this long to realise it's from the same stable as so many previous incarnations.
              Even sockies need help with their problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                The K series engine had a known fault
                That's putting it mildly.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                  I had a similar problem with my Land Rover a few years ago. Bought it new and it was just over 3 years old and < 60k miles when the engine blew. The garage point blank refused to help and said I would need to pay for the new engine myself as it was out of warranty.

I contacted Land Rover UK and they agreed it shouldn't have happened at < 60k miles and asked me to fill in an out of warranty claim form and they would pick up the tab. Just before I had heard back from them, a friend of my sister who had worked at a Land Rover garage got in touch. He told me about this little known out of warranty claim form and to mention it to the garage.

Long story short, they paid for the new engine which lasted another 60k miles before packing in. I just scrapped it for spares. The K series engine had a known fault but Land Rover wouldn't admit it officially so they just paid for a new engine when you complained to them.

I would ask you garage for an out of warranty claim form or contact the head office of Vauxhall and kick up a stink.
                  Thanks, been in dialogue with Vauxhall head office for about 3 weeks now, stalemate. Will check the out of warranty claim form thing, thanks.

Think it will be a small claims process though.

cheers for the help

Comment

Votes Labour, supports Spurs & drives a Vauxhall.

Hmmm...

Comment

Working...
                    X