• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Questions about expenses [merged]

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ItRYmyBEst
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Yes, you can use your laptop for non business stuff so long as the sole purpose of buying it is for business. Practically speaking that means if you need it to do your job in some way then it's allowable regardless if the proportion of personal use to business use.
    Nice, so its tax free right, I don't pay corporation tax on the funds used to buy this?

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Yes, you can use your laptop for non business stuff so long as the sole purpose of buying it is for business. Practically speaking that means if you need it to do your job in some way then it's allowable regardless if the proportion of personal use to business use.

Leave a comment:

• ItRYmyBEst
    replied
    Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
    The original purchasers receipt is meaningless.

Just get the person selling it to you to give you a recipt in their name - doesn't matter that they are not a business - for the amount you are paying them.

If they won't for some reason, then write your own out in a petty cash slip. H and if they won't give you a recipt be cautious, is it hooky?

And as the vendor is not a business, no vat to claim back.
    thanks, but I can't claim back VAT any way as I am flat rate, and the purchase is under £2k. Now I need this laptop for business but not for personal, I can use my iphone. Can I still buy this as a business expense and use it for personal stuff also like surfing the web, watching videos?

Leave a comment:

• Jessica@WhiteFieldTax
    replied
    The original purchasers receipt is meaningless.

Just get the person selling it to you to give you a recipt in their name - doesn't matter that they are not a business - for the amount you are paying them.

If they won't for some reason, then write your own out in a petty cash slip. H and if they won't give you a recipt be cautious, is it hooky?

And as the vendor is not a business, no vat to claim back.

Leave a comment:

• ItRYmyBEst
    replied
    Buying a macbook on gumtree with cash as business expense.

Can I buy a macbook on gumtree with cash as business expense, as long as I take a picture of the original receipt as a Proof of purchase that the buyer had? It will cost me less than this receipt though.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    There is no specific rules that distinguish between lunch, breakfast or dinner unless you're using scale rates.

The general rule is that you're allowed to claim for any subsistence that is attributable to business travel or work at a temporary workplace (subject to 24 month rule).

What this means in practice is any costs that you wouldn't have incurred if you weren't travelling.

I can't find any reference that says you can't claim for breakfast or dinner, what's important is that they are attribute to your travel.

There are examples and more details here:
    EIM31816 - Travel expenses: general: accommodation and subsistence: subsistence costs: examples

In practice, this means if for whatever reason you need to get breakfast on the way to work, or get dinner out as you are working late, then the cost is allowable.

But don't let the fact that its tax deductible lead you to think that getting breakfast and dinner out each day is a good idea as its not going to save you money in real terms.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It's all you can eat, not all you can fit in your car.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    It's not hard to research this type of thing yourself. Whilst doing this you may also glean other bits of useful advice that you didn't know. You could even ask your accountant. A search brings a raft of threads on exactly this as well and again you might actually find something new out reading up on it rather than asking a single question..

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fo...m=122&ie=UTF-8

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    No.

Eat your breakfast and your dinner (tea/supper if you from up North) at home.

If you randomly have to get to your client's site at 5am then and only then can you claim your breakfast.
    +1

If you don't have the facilities to make breakfast / lunch / tea (eg you are staying away from home in a hotel), then you claim it.

Food clearly has a duality of purpose.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    No.

Eat your breakfast and your dinner (tea/supper if you from up North) at home.

If you randomly have to get to your client's site at 5am then and only then can you claim your breakfast.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X