• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Linux bash vulnerability

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy View Post
    The idea that this is trivial. Its massive
    Well we are the only ones on CUK.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Must all be penpushing testers

Comment

Only affects people who can't use vi on the command line!

We've removed it from proper Unixes where some bell end has installed it, only pretend unix fanbois seem to depend on it so we've had to pander to them for this 20 year old exploit...

Comment

I'm getting that Stek is old, and set in his ways.

Comment

uh no .. hell no bash is the default shell. So everytime apache spawns a process it starts a bash shell. On an unpatched system you can use header variables to run anything you like on the target box.

Your vi supposition is clearly wrong and shows a pretty simple understanding of current linux os and processes.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              I'm getting that Stek is old, and set in his ways.
              That's ok, we got that you're a hysterical, fantasist, brainless ****wit twat years ago, you just reinforce the view on a regular basis.

Sure it's serious, but is it end of the world stuff? Nope.
              Are the vendors unable to cope with it? Nope.
              Are fixes being rolled out at a decent pace? Yep.

Are some contractors with the relevant skills making money from what's happened? Yup

Comment

The attack vector of choice is NAS boxes bizarrely. But I don't think the full hand has been played yet. Sensibly biding their time rather than peaking too soon.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                  That's ok, we got that you're a hysterical, fantasist, brainless ****wit twat years ago, you just reinforce the view on a regular basis.

Sure it's serious, but is it end of the world stuff? Nope.
                  Are the vendors unable to cope with it? Nope.
                  Are fixes being rolled out at a decent pace? Yep.

Are some contractors with the relevant skills making money from what's happened? Yup
                  I like your world. It's like Disney Pixar in there isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    The attack vector of choice is NAS boxes bizarrely. But I don't think the full hand has been played yet. Sensibly biding their time rather than peaking too soon.
                    Looking back all those years to SQL slammer again. The windows security patch was actually released 6 months before the attack was unleashed causing widespread damage and disruption to businesses. The problem is so many organisations are still tulip at rolling out patches it wouldn't surprise me if something like this could happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy View Post
                      uh no .. hell no bash is the default shell. So everytime apache spawns a process it starts a bash shell. On an unpatched system you can use header variables to run anything you like on the target box.

Your vi supposition is clearly wrong and shows a pretty simple understanding of current linux os and processes.
                      On Linux maybe so. Linux isn't even Unix...

It might be a shock to you but not everything is Linux, and not every Unix has bash as default, or even on the system. You might need your arrow keys working but most of us don't. Don't be lazy and expose yourself to this sort of thing, bash is not needed, nor is it a prerequisite for anything.

Comment

Working...
                      X