• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can an agency find out what rate you were on previously?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My contracts normally have a clause in them forbidding me from discussing rates with others, as do most permanent roles. I normally reply that I'm looking for something in the range x-y dependent on exact location and requirements.

Comment

When I recruit a permy part of the pre-employment screening HR requires is for the candidate to show proof of previous salary, pay slips etc.

When employing a contractor we don't ask we just make sure the person has the skills we require and we are paying market rates. I don't see what the issue is with agency finding out your prior rate, as long as you can do the job your being employed for we will pay what we feel is the rate, if you can't do the job we will soon finding out and then kick you out.
      I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Comment

Eh what's all this previous rate carp Don't we just say my 'daily rate is...' and we give a predetermined figure based on the role/location/client/etc. as kevpuk alluded to earlier?

Are we sure we're cut out for Contracting?

Also the education thing...
        Permietractor (probably)

Comment

Originally posted by Hireonomy View Post
          We NEVER ask for references before an interview (why would we need them) but part of the service we provide is to provide references to our Client for every Contractor that engage trough us (much in the same way you would for a Permie role).

Not saying you would, but why WOULDN'T you be happy to provide references? What would you have to hide?

Did you mean 'engage in the trough with us' or 'engage through us'

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
            When I recruit a permy part of the pre-employment screening HR requires is for the candidate to show proof of previous salary, pay slips etc.
            That's BS. My previous salary would be none of your business.

Comment

Originally posted by Hireonomy View Post
              It does when one of the questions that is asked "daily rate"...

This isn't a question that is asked every time... only when a Client asks for it.

Cut out to be an Agent? Absolutely.

You run a Business, right? You do due diligence, right?

So do our Clients, and part of that is carrying out necessary and relevant checks on their behalf (at no cost, by the way).
              Do you disclose your former suppliers' daily rates if asked at reference?
              The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                Agreed, not my rules though but my employers and I know most of the others in this sector do the same now. It sucks because if you have been bent over one year and got cr*p comp and say under market rate then it makes it alot harder to move on and get more £, then throw in 3 months notice periods and you got yourselve a ball and chain....
                I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Comment

When an agent asks for my previous rate I always exaggerate it as 20% or so higher than it actually was. That way they can "negotiate" me down to my true market worth, and feel that they have scored a victory. It is always sensible to give agents a little sense of achievement now and again
                  Oh and it has never got me into any trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                    Why did you quote the permie comment he made? You are not a permie.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thank you to those of you who actually helped me out. Gettin used to the arsey comments on this forum though.

Comment

Working...
                      X