• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Situation when dodgy manager want a cut form my Gig

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Situation when dodgy manager want a cut form my Gig

yes, it sounds weird and totally unethical but I have been approached by my manager signing my timesheets asking that I give a 5% of my daily rate because he will negotiate my renewal etc...
    WTF !

note: I am not in a dangerous position since client clearly needs me for the job, rate is not very high, but yes I deal with line manager mainly and not top boss.

So far I said that I don't want to get involved and if he wants anything like this he has to deal with Pimp or find one who can as long as I keep the rate I want in the end, and I clearly said I do not agree and that is unethical, but well.. not sure what's next.
    Anyone experienced that before ?
    Is this common practice ?
    Do you agree to pay if the guy invoice ?
    thanks.

No, no & no
    Report him to ethics committee
    latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
      No, no & no
      Report him to ethics committee
      Report him to the police!
      That's blackmail.
      I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

If you are going to take this further make sure you get some evidence. If it gets in to a he says she says situation it is likely you will come of worse unless he has form.

I would say your relationship has already broken down so whatever comes of this it won't bode too well. Unless he is just being cheeky and can continue to work with you after you say no I would go for trying to get him removed. He will have hard time swapping you out for someone that will bow to his demands but it is always hanging over you now. Couple of different approaches to dealing with problems and in this case I think the best one long term is to remove it. Do it carefully though. You have to be whiter than white if you want to make it stick.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

When he gets caught he will say "I was kidding, sheesh!"

The next time he brings it up say, tell you what old son, you get me a renewal it's beers on me.

Make it a playful rebuttal, but don't overdo it. He might then realise no dice and back down. If he persists ask him to put his request in writing. He won't. And then he might back down.

Either way you will or won't get the renewal, but you need to stay whiter than white. That means pushing back on him, firstly light heartedly, the second time with more intent.

Guaranteed there won't be a third time.

If he does put something in writing then keep it in the drawer for renewal time, it might come in handy.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by nicofars View Post
            yes, it sounds weird and totally unethical but I have been approached by my manager signing my timesheets asking that I give a 5% of my daily rate because he will negotiate my renewal etc...
            WTF !

note: I am not in a dangerous position since client clearly needs me for the job, rate is not very high, but yes I deal with line manager mainly and not top boss.

So far I said that I don't want to get involved and if he wants anything like this he has to deal with Pimp or find one who can as long as I keep the rate I want in the end, and I clearly said I do not agree and that is unethical, but well.. not sure what's next.
            Anyone experienced that before ?
            Is this common practice ?
            Do you agree to pay if the guy invoice ?
            thanks.
            If there is a "next time", give it non-commital lip service and ask him to follow it up by e-mail.

If he does, you have evidence for the ethics committee. In fact pass it to your pimp and play ignorant saying "just thought you had better have a copy of this". I'm sure PimpCo will have no qualms going to war with ClientCo over that.

If he doesn't, that confirms what you think you already know.

Comment

Say yes, the 5% will go to you, he'll sign timesheet, then tell him to do one. He's going to find it very difficult not to sign your timesheets in future. Ta-da.

Comment

Tell him he can have 50% if you don't have to do any work or attend site and then go get another gig
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Get him to sign off some "overtime" and pay him out of that. It's a win-win
                  Blood in your poo

Comment

This sounds highly unorthodox.

Is your line manager male or female?

Edit: I see the answer to my question now.
                    Last edited by oscarose; 19 February 2014, 14:07.
                    one day at a time

Comment

Working...
                    X