• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent/Agency getting their come-uppance - a tale of greed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
    Moral of the story is: Agent tried to increase their margin on gig from £50/day to close to £150/day.......by lying, and mis-representing both me and Client to each other......got found out, and in a world of pain. I am very glad that I took the risky step to contact Client guy direct - otherwise, my reputation would have taken a hit (looking like I was trying to play for more £s) and I would probably have lost the gig.
    Good to see a win for the client and contractor.

We need to keep fighting back with agencies like this, I never subscribed to the view that the contractor is taking a cut of the agency's money, they are always just the middle man to me and I will do my very best to collude with the client to keep them honest. The tide is turning on this one, more and more of my clients will negotiate directly and the agency is just there to factor the payments... I don't grudge the agency their margin - I just want to know what it is and that we aren't getting ripped off...
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
      Well done, pity you can't name and shame the agency, that really is a disgusting way to do business but as we all know too common in our world.

Have a banana!
      Go on OP name and shame or at least hint....
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Damon View Post
        I've experienced this some time ago where an agent kept telling me how short of budget client was yada yada I went to the interview and stated we would resolve rate once I understood more; at beginning of interview client asks me if I'd like a coffee then leaves my CV with coversheet from agent on the table. The rate from agency was in clear view.

It was 30% more than quoted to me. Interview went well, she kept talking about how desperate for help they where....

Sure enough I was offered the gig, I informed the agent I'd seen his rate.....he put the phone down immediately and I never heard from them again.
        So what happened - did you get the gig through another agencty?

Comment

I've got similar at the mo. Client called me directly about a gig I had an interview for months ago. I didn't even ask but they told me the rate they were paying the agency. Turns out agency were planning on 35% margin....

Anyway, unfortunately, things move very slowly at this client, but client manager is dealing with me directly. Agency haven't even bothered to get involved. Its a different guy now as well, original one has left. So far only communication with agent has been that we're going to have to discuss rate if it comes off. No reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Damon View Post
            Pre-LinkedIn days, guess I could have tried an email guess. But IIRC I wasn't that keen on the role.
            Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            So what happened - did you get the gig through another agencty?

Comment

The agency was doing their job, I don't see what's wrong with what they did? They provide a contractor at a rate to the client then they negotiate with you over what they pay you. If you just stick to your rate and refuse to budge then they will eventually cave, ,unless their story is true. To go behind their back to the client says more about you, if I was the client and you did that I would look for someone else.
              Last edited by Unix; 17 January 2014, 09:30. Reason: there /their

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
                The agency was doing their job, I don't see what's wrong with what they did? They provide a contractor at a rate to the client then they negotiate with you over what they pay you. If you just stick to your rate and refuse to budge then they will eventually cave, ,unless there story is true. To go behind their back to the client says more about you, if I was the client and you did that I would look for someone else.
                Agreed, that is the objective view.

Comment

Where are you based, PM me the agency. Add to my personal blacklist.
                  Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

The agency was doing their job, I don't see what's wrong with what they did? They provide a contractor at a rate to the client then they negotiate with you over what they pay you. If you just stick to your rate and refuse to budge then they will eventually cave, ,unless their story is true. To go behind their back to the client says more about you, if I was the client and you did that I would look for someone else.
                    That may be true, but when you get found out, karma is a bitch!

Now they have to ponder if the chance of that "X multiplied by contract length" amount was worth losing that client and their future business.

Comment

But lying to get more money for themselves is not on, telling the client the OP wanted more money while bleating to the OP that the client wanted to pay less. Fraud and obtaining money by deception in my opinion...

Comment

Working...
                      X