• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice period - 12 months fixed term contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    If you want to leave in 2 months time (i.e. when contract ends) then no need to do anything at all. The contract will end on this date unless both parties agree to an extension so no notice required etc.

You can wait until the friday before and then just not turn up on the monday if you really wanted to. Probably not best - its always good to advise client of plans. Two months to go though I'd keep quiet.

Then again, I'm sure I'm not the only one whos had a client who doesnt understand this either. Be a bit careful. I had one who had me on a month rolling contract with no notice (This was after a few 3 monthers where notice period was 1 month and they decided they had to do it this way from now on regardless of what I though).

Told them a week before the end of one that I wasn't renewing. They tried to say I had to renew if they offered it to me or give them at least a months notice to get a replacement. Umm right ok I don't think so - you were the ones who changed the terms.

Ended up sticking my stuff in the car on friday afternoon - to clients disbelief. Even though I tried to explain the situation they were still convinced I couldnt do it.

I'd wait until max 3-4 weeks before then just politely tell them you don't intend to renew if thats what you want to do. Just make sure they understand the score.
    Though mine is a fixed term contract for 1 year, I think it is slightly different than 1 month rolling contract as I get most permie benefits.
    I am just worried my boss won't understand but I guess as long as I verbally mention before a month beforehand it should be fair as per your suggestions.

many thanks all

Comment

Working...
    X