• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie cracking the market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie cracking the market

UPDATED - SEE PAGE 2

Hi all,

I'm new here. As a slight introduction I want to make it clear that I have read the newbie guides, I've read pages and pages of the contracting forums, done my research on the benefits of umbrella vs limited etc. What I am trying to say is that I havent found a post that answers my question.

Basically I was hoping for some advice. The best way I can describe my situation is that I have been manipulating my permie career with the aim of eventually cracking into a contractor job as soon as I can. My speciality is Business Intelligence, particularly Microsoft BI stack. By manipulating my career I mean taking the jobs that will give me the best experience to eventually be able to contract (sacrificing salary in my current position - I am underpaid). I have a wife and son who are both on board and are fully aware, as far as they can be, about the lifestyle choice this means.

Basically I was hoping to get advice on what my next move should be. In my current BI role (within financial services), I am managed from within a standard business function (operations) as opposed to managed by IT professionals. Therefore in my organisation I am by far the most experienced in BI and the BI stack (so if I run into a problem, google is my friend). I know, (realistically) that I could do with another year or so before I move to contracting, though I dont know whether to improve my CV by moving to another permie position before moving on to contracting. As things stand I would only be able to provide one reference from an IT professional (or two within the same company). I think it is possible that if I was working for a senior developer in BI then I could accelerate my journey to contracting. Would this community recommend that I move to another 'job' before moving into contracting? I am also part ways through an MSCE in bi.

I have struggled to find junior developer contracts - otherwise I would seriously look into jumping ship earlier. I want to make sure that my transition to contracting is a successful one, without realising too late that I needed an extra reference or a little more experience with mdx etc.

I appreciate any and all help, and acknowledge that newbie threads can be frustrating for some (sorry).

I await NLUK telling me I am not cut out to be contractor!
    Last edited by Scratch It; 7 September 2016, 09:20.

It makes absolutely no difference what your title is - in fact you can manipulate your title to say anything you like on your CV as you don't need references to become a contractor you just need to have the skills to get a contract and complete it.

So if you are getting loads of experience at your current role then stay where you are for a year then resign and apply for contracts. You could also help yourself now by networking with within your speciality.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Thanks for the reply SueEllen - I want aware references weren't required. That could make a big difference to how I handle the next year or so.

I've considered networking - potentially slim pickings where I live though I'm not against heading to Leeds or Manchester for networking events.

Comment

Don't ever forget the key difference between permie and contractor: you hire the former on their potential long term benefit to your company, you hire the latter totally on the basis of what they have done in the last 5-10 years; and that includes successfully filling contracts and covering their costs.

And being a contractor means being prepared to work away five days a week for a few years: with 85% of contract work in the South East (and 70% in that Lunnun), thinking about getting to Manchester for the night isn't exactly a good start. Make sure the family understand that very clearly.

And finally, don't go contracting for the money. Do all your sums on working 7 months a year: if you get more than that long term it's a bonus.

And I really hope your reading has included the PCG Guide to Freelancing - www.pcg.org.uk
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Don't ever forget the key difference between permie and contractor: you hire the former on their potential long term benefit to your company, you hire the latter totally on the basis of what they have done in the last 5-10 years; and that includes successfully filling contracts and covering their costs.

And being a contractor means being prepared to work away five days a week for a few years: with 85% of contract work in the South East (and 70% in that Lunnun), thinking about getting to Manchester for the night isn't exactly a good start. Make sure the family understand that very clearly.

And finally, don't go contracting for the money. Do all your sums on working 7 months a year: if you get more than that long term it's a bonus.

And I really hope your reading has included the PCG Guide to Freelancing - www.pcg.org.uk
          Hi there, thanks for the link.

Im happy going where the work is, and that includes relocation if required. Its a work/lifestyle that we have used before - I've worked away from home monday to friday on a permie basis before.

My sums so far have been on the basis of finding work for 6 months in the year on a newbie rate going through umbrella initially - for the same reasons you suggest, cover bases and then everything else is a bonus.

That being said I'm keeping my head on the ground for the time being, carefully planning the move but fully aware im a little ways off yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Scratch It View Post
            I await NLUK telling me I am not cut out to be contractor!

On the contrary you appear to have done your home work which is can't be said for most people.

I have a stinking hangover so didn't take all what you put in but I would say you need to start looking at the roles you want to do and skill up. The clients are looking for someone that can carry out the role they have and have a lot of demonstrable experience doing it. They don't want chancers, people who want to learn etc. You need a solid background in a saleable skill. Research the roles and see what people are looking for. You can't apply to job that you think you might be able to do or can give it a go, you have to show the client you are the best out there at that exact role.

Applying for junior positions won't help. In fact they will assume you are over qualified and will jump ship as soon as a better rate comes along. Apply for the roles you are experienced in and can deliver with your eyes shut.

Hope that helps.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Applying for junior positions won't help. In fact they will assume you are over qualified and will jump ship as soon as a better rate comes along. Apply for the roles you are experienced in and can deliver with your eyes shut.

Hope that helps.
              Thanks for the reply.

That's the plan. Timing is everything as far as I'm concerned. I know that going for contracts whilst still a permie is a no no, so getting the skill set right is key! Im constantly reading up, watching seminars and then applying this to my day job.

Comment

Im constantly reading up

Im constantly reading up, watching seminars and then applying this to my day job.
                You will need to knock that on the head when you become a contractor, That just wont do

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

On the contrary you appear to have done your home work which is can't be said for most people.

I have a stinking hangover so didn't take all what you put in...
                  Are you sure you're cut out to be NLUK ?

Boo2

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

That's the plan. Timing is everything as far as I'm concerned. I know that going for contracts whilst still a permie is a no no, so getting the skill set right is key! Im constantly reading up, watching seminars and then applying this to my day job.
                    I wouldn't say applying for contracts whilst still a permie is a no no. Personally that's how I did it. I even know someone that did this with a 3 month notice period. So it does happen. Why put yourself at risk by quitting your job?
                    "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
                    Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Working...
                    X