• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A recruiter asks: 'What day rate are you looking for?'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A recruiter asks: 'What day rate are you looking for?'

Hi All,

Interested to hear how you respond to the following question 'What day rate are you looking for?' frequently posed by recruiters.

It seems that if you quote your day rate as £1300 - £1500 (wouldn't that be nice!) then the roles they call you about all seem to be at the (surprise surprise) £1300 mark. And you've already told them that you would be willing to work for £1300. Anticipating this and quoting a higher rate to start off may mean that you don't hear about roles which are genuinely £1300 per day.

How best to combat this?

Thanks,
    Untouchable1

Ask for £20,000 a day and let them beat you down
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Tell them it depends on the exact roll as you evaluate it on a case by case basis. If you have to then give them a raw minimum which is actually 15% above your actual minimum.
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by Untouchable1 View Post
        Hi All,

Interested to hear how you respond to the following question 'What day rate are you looking for?' frequently posed by recruiters.

It seems that if you quote your day rate as £1300 - £1500 (wouldn't that be nice!) then the roles they call you about all seem to be at the (surprise surprise) £1300 mark. And you've already told them that you would be willing to work for £1300. Anticipating this and quoting a higher rate to start off may mean that you don't hear about roles which are genuinely £1300 per day.

How best to combat this?

Thanks,
        Untouchable1
        If he asks what your day rate is and you give him a range then surely it is you that is shooting yourself in the foot by giving him and easy option. I mean, what do you expect him to say? Give him a reasonable rate that is a little more than you are happy with and then open a dialogue up. When he sighs ask him what the issue is and let him give you his sob story. If you know the market rate is say £450 and he says £375 then there could be some wiggle room to meet half way. If you say £450 and he says £200 then you know even if you get him up a bit it will never be what you want and you leave it at that. Not even in the right ball park so no point considering it.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          If he asks what your day rate is and you give him a range then surely it is you that is shooting yourself in the foot by giving him and easy option. I mean, what do you expect him to say? Give him a reasonable rate that is a little more than you are happy with and then open a dialogue up. When he sighs ask him what the issue is and let him give you his sob story. If you know the market rate is say £450 and he says £375 then there could be some wiggle room to meet half way. If you say £450 and he says £200 then you know even if you get him up a bit it will never be what you want and you leave it at that. Not even in the right ball park so no point considering it.
          So you're happy to work below market rate? YACNCOTBAC.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              Ok, I should have said if you know the market rate is 400 then stick 450 in. Bleedin' pedants, coming out of the woodwork they are.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Ok, I should have said if you know the market rate is 400 then stick 450 in. Bleedin' pedants, coming out of the woodwork they are.
                But now it's too late, and there you are looking in the bins at work for lunch, all because you quoted incorrectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Untouchable1 View Post
                  Hi All,

How best to combat this?

Thanks,
                  Untouchable1
                  It all depends on location, well not just that, but what the client is willilng to pay too.

If a range X to Y is advertised, then my rate is Y (or Y + a bit more if I feel Y is too low).

If no rate or "market rate" is advertised then it's more than my market rate.

If they are a big company, then it's more.

Mostly, I try to get as much as possible.
                  Last edited by kingcook; 4 October 2013, 22:07.
                  Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Show me the roles on any job site at £1000+/day - they don't exist or if they do it's by some other more direct means.

I knew one PM on 1200 a day in 2007, but he was strato-phenomonal in that he delivered dead hard stuff on time on budget, every time.

Comment

Working...
                    X