• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hourly vs daily rate for contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Peregrine66 View Post
    I'm just about to start contracting again after some time in a permanent position.

I was a little suprised that my new contract is specified a daily rate rather than the hourly rate I was used to in my previous contracting experience. On querying this I was told it is "usual practice" now - is this the case?

As a contractor, is it appropriate to be firm in not working unpaid overtime? I'm not so bothered about being seen as "not a team player" as I might be for a permanent role.

Also, as an IT contractor, is it usual practice to be expected to supply my own laptop for use in the office?
    Why not have a search on jobserve or similar site and find out first hand?

Contractors don't work overtime, permies do that. You are business supplying a service to your client. Some people do, some people don't. It's your choice how you present yourself to your client and whether you work to rule or go the extra mile but you must be firm when they try to take the piss.

It isn't expected to supply laptop in general as most companies now have policies regarding ant-virus, connection of 3rd party equipment to networks so will likely get a company one to use. Don't take this for granted. As a small business/contractor you should be able to provide your own equipment. What IT business doesn't own a laptop to work on. Permies take it for granted they are given laptops, contractors can't.

I think you need to spend some time understanding the differenc between a contractor and a permie and read up very carefully on IR35.

Leave a comment:

• Peregrine66
    started a topic Hourly vs daily rate for contract

Hourly vs daily rate for contract

I'm just about to start contracting again after some time in a permanent position.

I was a little suprised that my new contract is specified a daily rate rather than the hourly rate I was used to in my previous contracting experience. On querying this I was told it is "usual practice" now - is this the case?

As a contractor, is it appropriate to be firm in not working unpaid overtime? I'm not so bothered about being seen as "not a team player" as I might be for a permanent role.

Also, as an IT contractor, is it usual practice to be expected to supply my own laptop for use in the office?

Working...
X