• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Forgot to Give Me Notice - Do I Exploit Situation?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Garening leave for contractors does exist. Snag is, it blows a massive hole in any defence you may care to put up regarding IR35. If your client wants to keep you on on full pay with no work to do, you are clearly working under a contract of service and should therefore be paying full PAYE and NICs on 95% of your gross for the duration of the contract.

So less of the arrogance, all you're proving is you don't know the laws governing your trade. Which is not a good place to start fom when criticising those of us who do.

And if you don't want advice, don't ask questions.
    It doesn't definitely mean you are caught by IR35. It's entirely possible to have a B2B relationship where this kind of thing happens. Of course he may well be caught but suggesting it is a done deal is disingenuous. It's arrogant of you to make such a statement.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
      Your client does not pay you, the agency does. Hence by your own definition the client is not the employer.

Let me get this straight .. I take time out of my day to try to help you by explaining the definitions of contracting terms to you and how they apply in your situation and also why this is different to an employer/employee situations - and I am the one who is clearly not an IT contractor?
      OP - MyUserName is right isn't he? :-)

The agency pay you not the client so I think your argument falls down a little here.

On a similar note, if a plumber comes around your house and, for whatever reason, the job takes 3 months does he then say your his employer? Probably not.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        OP - MyUserName is right isn't he? :-)

The agency pay you not the client so I think your argument falls down a little here.

On a similar note, if a plumber comes around your house and, for whatever reason, the job takes 3 months does he then say your his employer? Probably not.
        This is becoming an academic and wasteful discussion on semantics. But, to be clear, yes, I would say that I have employed a plumber to fix a leak. He is now employed by me to do something. From a legal and government point of view, I am not his employer in the legal definition, nor is he my employee. But, from the dictionary definition, I have certainly employed him to do something. My cat has employed me as her feeder, groomer, provider, entertainment giver. But, she doesn't pay me, there is no contract in place, no limited company, no PAYE, no tax is paid, and I can choose when I fulfill my requirements and if I wish to delegate them to someone else such as my girlfriend. And I can even sack my boss (the cat) by sending her to a cat's home!

So, for the sake of deliberating over the meaning of the word 'employ[er|ee|ment]' without specifying context, let's move on to more important things in life...

So, fraymond, your questions...

1. What is blocking/holding you back from accepting the full notice period?
        I don't want them to feel like I'm taking the complete p*ss over a clerical error and I let them suggest the compromise rather than suggest it myself. All I have to do is accept it. Going for the full notice period feels like I'm forcing something more beneficial to me rather than just accepting something offered by them. And I don't want to upset the management 1) because I would like to maintain a good reference; 2) it feels a little morally wrong to totally exploit a genuine clerical mistake.

2. If you decided to walk away and accept no money after your last day, how would you feel and why?
        I'd feel like I may have lost out on a lot of cash because the reasons 1) and 2) in the answer to 1. above may not have been so relevant. And this is the problem. I don't know how relevant they are because I cannot predict the future, hence why I'm trying to appeal to the crowd for advice to draw on others' experience and opinions.

As for everyone else, why do you hack away at your keyboards splurging hatred and anger and arrogance at each other when all people want is a little advice? I know why. You all have egos to stroke and belittling others with your bigoted opinions is a way to make your human selves feel good about the drabness of your lives. I accept it's a part of human nature to be like this, and Internet forums are littered with discussions like this, but just thought I'd point it out. So much arrogance on here, it's cringeworthy, because the same people are probably humble quiet do-as-they're-tolds in real life.

Innit!

Comment

Originally posted by Neo View Post
          My cat has employed me as her feeder, groomer, provider, entertainment giver.
          You're a funny guy. You should try a few posts in the General forum
          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Working...
          X