• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public sector contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jollyrogers View Post
    Interesting...

I have been direct with an NHS Org for past 12 months and we have been discussing my renewal, originally everything was fine and I would be renewed outside, got a phone call yesterday to tell me HR have made a blanket decision and all contractors inside - no budging by the looks of it.
    Ask them for the basis of their decision. Ask them for details of the appeals process. Ask them what steps they took to cover their legal obligations to provide reasonable care.

They have a legal obligation, so ask them how they have followed the law.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I intend to but was trying to gauge if this is now the general consensus amongst all NHS or just one particular Trust making a blanket decision.

Comment

I intend to but was trying to gauge if this is now the general consensus amongst all NHS or just one particular Trust making a blanket decision.
        Trust I am contracting to made a blanket inside decision several weeks ago without using the tool or any consultation with either myself,hiring manager or agency and before "reasonable care" had been added........today is my last day.

Had several plays with the tool myself and get an outside decision every time but see little point in challenging the decision even if I knew how or who to challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by notahappybunny View Post
          Trust I am contracting to made a blanket inside decision several weeks ago without using the tool or any consultation with either myself,hiring manager or agency and before "reasonable care" had been added........today is my last day.

Had several plays with the tool myself and get an outside decision every time but see little point in challenging the decision even if I knew how or who to challenge.
          I had arranged my renewal a month ago and received signoff, completed the HMRC digital tool, sent a copy to the hiring manager. Got a signed contract and SoW putting me firmly outside. Hiring manager rang me yesterday to say HR have said inside no exceptions. Feel sorry for the poor chap as he is potentially loosing 50% of his department after tomorrow.

I will be challenging but I might wait till after tomorrow in case an elenth hour reverse decision is made, dont want to burn bridges by sending a poohgram

Comment

I had arranged my renewal a month ago and received signoff, completed the HMRC digital tool, sent a copy to the hiring manager. Got a signed contract and SoW putting me firmly outside. Hiring manager rang me yesterday to say HR have said inside no exceptions. Feel sorry for the poor chap as he is potentially loosing 50% of his department after tomorrow.

I will be challenging but I might wait till after tomorrow in case an elenth hour reverse decision is made, dont want to burn bridges by sending a poohgram
            What a complete cluster f**k! What is the point of the digital tool if all trusts say inside IR35; no exceptions?

However many of us on here could see this coming when it was first mooted.

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
              What a complete cluster f**k! What is the point of the digital tool if all trusts say inside IR35; no exceptions?

However many of us on here could see this coming when it was first mooted.

qh
              Completely agree and by what I have heard lots of trusts will be in serious trouble come Monday. I wish I had stayed in the private sector

Comment

There are more and more public service contracts no going unfilled for months and months because of insistence on being within IR35.

All this is going to do in the long term is push up the rates (significantly) that the public service has to pay to get contractors which will end up costing the government far more than they receive via IR35 tax income. Either that or they will have to fill posts with the lower end of the contractor market and quality will take a dramatic hit.

An absolutely idiotic idea storing up loads of trouble and cost for the government at a later date.

I would hate to be a development manager for a public service organisation at the minute.

Comment

I have been on the bench for 2 months, and am staying their until I get a sensible offer, I have had a few gigs in the NHS in my time but agencies have been ringing me with the odd ridiculous offer (the only terms they offer now are PAYE or UMBRELLA) If no suitble offer comes along ill go and do something else in life, quite obviously government see us contractors as tax dodging scum. One of the young ladies who rang me from an agency said the government just want everyone paying the same tax. (I almost did but didn't rise to the bait) See how the NHS is coping is 6 months

Comment

Originally posted by Yonmons View Post
                    I have been on the bench for 2 months, and am staying their until I get a sensible offer, I have had a few gigs in the NHS in my time but agencies have been ringing me with the odd ridiculous offer (the only terms they offer now are PAYE or UMBRELLA) If no suitble offer comes along ill go and do something else in life, quite obviously government see us contractors as tax dodging scum. One of the young ladies who rang me from an agency said the government just want everyone paying the same tax. (I almost did but didn't rise to the bait) See how the NHS is coping is 6 months
                    This topic is covered in a separate sub-forum - may be of interest to you.

Public Sector IR35

Comment

Seen a few PS gigs around here, rates seem to have gone up by £1-200/day. A lot of them are also advertising "outside IR35", but those ones also seem to be higher rate which is promising. From contacts in PS a lot of people have gone to private sector over the past few years and won't consider public regardless, so maybe supply and demand.

Legal obligation is one thing but if a trust has to make a decision between hiring a lawyer to resolve IR35 for IT staff or hiring another doctor then I can see why they just go the "everyone's inside" route.

Comment

Working...
                      X