• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Avoid Aston Carter at all costs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avoid Aston Carter at all costs

In these difficult times it is agencies like these (and I've had two contracts with them before - makes me wonder what their slice was) that really do take the p155.

Here's a role that I've definitely interviewed for before and have been invited again to apply, though through a different agency (and yes they are correct as I also know contractors on site)

I know the role is paying £ 500-600, which outside of London is a very good rate. Check out Astons rate! Absolute parasites (and don't say £ 400k per day is a good rate ;-) )

======================

C#, energy trading, Swindon, banking

Swindon, £400 - £401580 per day

Contract

A leading client energy trading firm is looking for a senior developer to join a rapidly growing team to participate in the ongoing development of their physical commities trading platform. Based in Swindon, the team manages & develops trading & market data systems for the different trading desks within front office and so previous experience within energy trading is a must. The candidate will be responsible for the design, development, coding, testing, and documentation of applications and will need to have strong C#, Winforms, ASP.NET and SQL Server expertise.

>C#
    >Winforms
    >Asp.Net
    >SQL Server
    >Energy trading experience
    >Excellent problem solving skills

Please send CV's to me ASAP!

======================

I was recently contacted by then. Seemed OK and the rate I stated I wanted was in line with what the client had with other agents.

Depends if you take the word of contractors you know on site.

Lad Im working with tried telling me the other day he was on £70 a day more than me. Only I know he isnt because I know from someone on site what his and the other team member's rates are. We are all within a tenner of each other.

IME contractors nears always inflate their rate when discussing with other contractors.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
      In these difficult times it is agencies like these (and I've had two contracts with them before - makes me wonder what their slice was) that really do take the p155.
      Problem is, they are all as bad as each other these days. Had a phone call at 8:30 a.m. on Monday morning from a secretarial bint at McGregor-Boyall, just wanted to bang on about "How low would I go rate wise?" and "Who did you report to at your previous role?" Needless to say, the phone went down on her just 5 seconds after I'd replied, "Can't say, really, but please do get an agent to phone me back if you ever have any suitable roles."

Whole market has turned to sh-- But hey, we've covered all this before in many other threads.
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

If you're the director of a LTD company thats had zero turnover for months and are turning down staffing a role for 400 per day in this economy I think you're being foolish and not acting as a MD either.

Let Aston take their 200 p/d and if you want revenge then negotiate a direct deal with the client ONCE you've got your foot in the door - this has never failed for me, even with a preferred supplier in the picture.

I'm working for 30ph on a stupid project at a crap joint in the middle of nowhere - why? because its chinstrap time IMHO. After many months of bench somethings got to give.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post

If you're the director of a LTD company thats had zero turnover for months and are turning down staffing a role for 400 per day in this economy I think you're being foolish and not acting as a MD either.

Let Aston take their 200 p/d and if you want revenge then negotiate a direct deal with the client ONCE you've got your foot in the door - this has never failed for me, even with a preferred supplier in the picture.

I'm working for 30ph on a stupid project at a crap joint in the middle of nowhere - why? because its chinstrap time IMHO. After many months of bench somethings got to give.
          Got to agree with this. OK I may be pissed off finding out how much an agent is making off me but, that's the model we work under. And to not take a role because the agent is getting a good rake off well, words fail me although Im not sure the OP was in the frame for this job.

TBF to AC, I told them what I wanted. They agreed to my rate. I told them I wanted weekly invoicing, they said they normally do monthly but would do weekly if I got the role. They wanted exclusivity to put me forward. I said ok but here's a list of conditions I want confirmed via email before I agree to it. They agreed to every one of the conditions I asked for.

Couldnt be fairer than that.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post

Never said I wasn't pursuing the opportunity. I am and at the £600 quoted. Then I spotted Assh0le Carters attempts at scr3wing th contractors, supplying substandard techies at top rates in order to cream it for themselves. That's the purpose of this post Scoobos

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              Got to agree with this. OK I may be pissed off finding out how much an agent is making off me but, that's the model we work under. And to not take a role because the agent is getting a good rake off well, words fail me although Im not sure the OP was in the frame for this job.

TBF to AC, I told them what I wanted. They agreed to my rate. I told them I wanted weekly invoicing, they said they normally do monthly but would do weekly if I got the role. They wanted exclusivity to put me forward. I said ok but here's a list of conditions I want confirmed via email before I agree to it. They agreed to every one of the conditions I asked for.

Couldnt be fairer than that.
              What makes you think I wasn't in the frame??? Lost! Haven't even discussed it with AC.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                I was recently contacted by then. Seemed OK and the rate I stated I wanted was in line with what the client had with other agents.

Depends if you take the word of contractors you know on site.

Lad Im working with tried telling me the other day he was on £70 a day more than me. Only I know he isnt because I know from someone on site what his and the other team member's rates are. We are all within a tenner of each other.

IME contractors nears always inflate their rate when discussing with other contractors.
                You're all direct then?

Comment

I got an email in Swedish from AC today. Something about Linux.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

£401580 per day seems pretty reasonable to me
                    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                    X