• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies to avoid....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SurreyPM View Post
    I've just been offered a contract through this agency. Your response is useful. Did you try and get the contract amended so they had the final payment clause removed? I really want to work for the company the role is with but less so through this agency :-(

I didn't get the final payment clause amended, I didn't find out what their interpretation of the clause was until 7 weeks after I had left the client site.

The part of the contract I had amended was to do with their ability to immediately terminate the contract without reason.

I'd suggest you contact them and tell them that if they won't make the changes, then you won't take the role, and let them know it is because of that. Remember they will record the call and may try to get you to say certain things (or agree with things they say) to twist your reasons.

Within a few minutes of speaking to them, contact the client and tell them that you would like to work for them, but the agent has misled you and is trying to force you to sign a contract that is onerous on you while giving them the right to refuse to pay you even when the client is happy and has paid. (word that one as you see fit)

If you don't get the call into the client, then VRL will contact them and badmouth you.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by djm View Post

- I've found Modis excellent.
      Thanks for the heads up on this one: Was contacted by them but I thought they were the same league as TATA World-leader-system-Integrator recruiters so did not pay to much attention to it.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        I didn't get the final payment clause amended, I didn't find out what their interpretation of the clause was until 7 weeks after I had left the client site.

The part of the contract I had amended was to do with their ability to immediately terminate the contract without reason.

I'd suggest you contact them and tell them that if they won't make the changes, then you won't take the role, and let them know it is because of that. Remember they will record the call and may try to get you to say certain things (or agree with things they say) to twist your reasons.

Within a few minutes of speaking to them, contact the client and tell them that you would like to work for them, but the agent has misled you and is trying to force you to sign a contract that is onerous on you while giving them the right to refuse to pay you even when the client is happy and has paid. (word that one as you see fit)

If you don't get the call into the client, then VRL will contact them and badmouth you.

I asked them to amend the contract and remove a couple of the clauses and they withdrew the offer.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
          I was speaking to landlord of my local, and he's owed money (over 10K) by a local shyster who took over the local town non league footy club. It turns out this guy opens a company, runs it to the ground, incurs debts to around 250K, marks it insolvent so creditors struggle to get the money back. He then opens up another. My landlord said HMRC will do nothing, something about the 250K limit. I found him on DueDil with about 50 companies, mostly struck off, to his name, which he keeps on altering slightly.

And yet they spend all this money with IR35 coming after contractors who the majority of which run their companies properly, legally and pay debts on time.

Makes yer mad!

qh
          Erm, some contracting agencies do this as well. Check out Platform People LLP, and now FSI Elite Ltd. First company becomes insolvent, then the second becomes insolvent a few months later, owing thousands to a dozen or more contractors that they haven't passed on despite billing the clients! Unsecured creditor? Tough luck!

The latest phoenix operation by the same directors is called Financial Services Resource Group Ltd, already posting roles under the name FSR Group on twitter and LinkedIn. Of course they may be able to run it as a successful business this time given all the previous experience of failures, but you have been warned.
          The law sucks when people can get away with this kind of behaviour repeatedly.

Comment

Bogus comoanies to Avoid

Hi there.

Here are some companies to avoid:

1. FourthLine: Time waster - never seem to have any jobs and are generally just intelligence gathering on people's salaries, rates and who they work for. Promises to call back and never does. Useless and I honestly don't know how they stay in business - on three separate occasions they have been less than useless on trying to assist with work.

2. CPS Group (Cardiff)/Leading Resolutions: very dodgy bunch of grifters: got me an interview, employer liked me and wanted me initially for less than 2 months, agreed that I would start once contracts were in place but then on a Friday night told me that initial contract was less than 2 weeks and wanted affirmation on a Friday night whilst out with my family. After being bullied into agreeing, waited all weekend for a contract and was told on Monday that another candidate had been interviewed and offered the job because I had "issues with the revised length of contract" - when the original scope was ABSOLUTELY agreed to be 6 WEEKs. DO NOT USE THEM and be very careful about entering into any contractual obligation. After all, it's a very easy thing to make someone work for 4 weeks then try to pay them on the basis of gross or professional misconduct.

I could go on - there are so many really poorly managed companies out there with time waster - i.e Apollo Recruitment

Comment

[QUOTE=SirEffedOffALot;2336484]Hi there.

<snip>Leading Resolutions: very dodgy bunch of grifters<snip)/QUOTE]

I did some work for them earlier this year - bunch of cowboys!

Comment

Originally posted by djm View Post
                I will have to add in a comment about Lorien as well, as I'm currently going through them for my soon-to-be new role, starting in a few weeks.
                - Their payment terms are 10 working days, which seems fine.
                - We agreed a rate, and then they phoned me up a few hours later, and said "we managed to secure you £50 more a day". Surprisingly nice of them. I assume they get paid a % of my rate.
                - They have no paid-when-paid policies in regards to the last month or expenses.
                - Their online portal (so far) seems reasonably good.
                - They respond super quickly to emails, and phone calls, so communication seems decent so far.
                My current gig is 5 working days payment terms g One agent not to avoid, who are also very good and helpful. Used them a couple of times.

Comment

Originally posted by SirEffedOffALot View Post
                  2. CPS Group (Cardiff)/Leading Resolutions: very dodgy bunch of grifters: got me an interview, employer liked me and wanted me initially for less than 2 months, agreed that I would start once contracts were in place but then on a Friday night told me that initial contract was less than 2 weeks and wanted affirmation on a Friday night whilst out with my family. After being bullied into agreeing, waited all weekend for a contract and was told on Monday that another candidate had been interviewed and offered the job because I had "issues with the revised length of contract" - when the original scope was ABSOLUTELY agreed to be 6 WEEKs. DO NOT USE THEM and be very careful about entering into any contractual obligation. After all, it's a very easy thing to make someone work for 4 weeks then try to pay them on the basis of gross or professional misconduct.
                  Never got a gig with them but they're one of the best to deal with in South West.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Never got a gig with them but they're one of the best to deal with in South West.
                    How do you known if you've not had a gig through them?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      How do you known if you've not had a gig through them?
                      Not just me then...

Maybe they give good "phone"
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X