• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies to avoid....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rd409 View Post
    I dont know, may be I am a one off case, but my experience with Lorien has been quite good. The payment terms are not really friendly, but I opted for weekly schedule, so you get paid 12 days after you submit the invoice. .
    That's interesting, my revised Lorien contract said 12 days but turns out that was 12 working days (not calendar days) from last friday of month, so submitting weekly invoices made no difference... they wiggled like worms every month, very reluctant payers.

Why did I accept the terms? A) wasn't clear and never got straight answers and B) once I've invested time and effort securing a position I'm less likely to turn down a contract even with a tulips and they know it.

Comment

Agencies to avoid....
      Progressive
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Progressive
        AGREED
        I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by bikeman View Post
          That's interesting, my revised Lorien contract said 12 days but turns out that was 12 working days (not calendar days) from last friday of month, so submitting weekly invoices made no difference... they wiggled like worms every month, very reluctant payers.

Why did I accept the terms? A) wasn't clear and never got straight answers and B) once I've invested time and effort securing a position I'm less likely to turn down a contract even with a tulips and they know it.
          It was 12 working days, and my contract said that time was from the submission of the invoice. The only problem is that they entertain the invoice only after they get a sign copy of timesheet from client. So if you had a weekly invoicing, but monthly time sheets from the client, you are not having a fair deal. What I did was generate weekly time sheets on thursday, get it signed by the client on Friday morning, and invoice on Friday afternoon. Money in the bank account in 3 weeks. Sweet.

The only problem I had with payment schedule is for the first invoice, when they got it wrong. I just threatened, that I walk off unless my invoice is sorted in 3 days, and they did keep me happy from then since. It might have helped my case, because I was one of the first contractors placed by them at client site, where they just received a place on PSL. So losing me, was kind of losing the client as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bikeman View Post
            That's interesting, my revised Lorien contract said 12 days but turns out that was 12 working days (not calendar days)
            What did it say in the contract? Unless it explicitly says "12 working days" and defines what a working day is then it's 12 calendar days.

If they have paid you late then send them an invoice for interest and penalties. Works a treat on late payers....
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by rd409 View Post
              It was 12 working days, and my contract said that time was from the submission of the invoice. The only problem is that they entertain the invoice only after they get a sign copy of timesheet from client. So if you had a weekly invoicing, but monthly time sheets from the client, you are not having a fair deal. What I did was generate weekly time sheets on thursday, get it signed by the client on Friday morning, and invoice on Friday afternoon. Money in the bank account in 3 weeks. Sweet.

The only problem I had with payment schedule is for the first invoice, when they got it wrong. I just threatened, that I walk off unless my invoice is sorted in 3 days, and they did keep me happy from then since. It might have helped my case, because I was one of the first contractors placed by them at client site, where they just received a place on PSL. So losing me, was kind of losing the client as well.
              And how is that good? 3 weeks? my current and previous agency pay the Friday following end of cycle. Morson were the best and paid so promptly - even when timesheets were late. Also a really friendly bunch of people and would be really happy working with them again.

Comment

Most agencies will compromise once you get an offer if your negotiation skills are robust enough. Even the most hard-ball agencies will back down from idiot demands if you play just as hard-ball back and be truly willing to walk away if they don't back down.

An example was the last contract when the agency insisted that in order to accept me "opting in"* that I had to provide them with audited accounts, personal guarantees indemnifying them, lengthened payment terms and so on. They sent me a letter from their "legal manager" that if I refused to do all of that then they would not contract with me. I forwarded them the guideline document to the Regs, highlighted the things that were their duties under the Regs for those caught and explained why all bar one were absolutely none of their business for me as a representative of a limited company. The chasing to get me to opt-out stopped and I only got one call half way through the contract reminding me that they had no signed opt-out form "for their records", I chose to believe that was an admin error rather than anything more cynical.

* Yes, they insisted I was opting in rather than simply not opting out, their terminology.

Comment

Funny this was posted on the main site today...

Elsewhere in the agency category, a diverse pool of IT contracts; being proactive with the new roles and negotiating successfully for the candidate were compliments awarded, respectively, to Hudson, Elan and Harvey Nash. Lorien also drew praise for being a ‘hassle-free’ recruiter that pays on time, as did Spring.
                  from CUK Reader Awards: IT contracting in 2011 :: Contractor UK

Funny old world hey
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                    And how is that good? 3 weeks? my current and previous agency pay the Friday following end of cycle. Morson were the best and paid so promptly - even when timesheets were late. Also a really friendly bunch of people and would be really happy working with them again.
                    I never said they are the best. But when most of the agencies are now opting for 4 weeks payment terms, I guess 3 weeks is acceptable. Ideally, I would always like the payment terms to be 7 days max, but then this is business, and you can't really have it your ways always. I just tried to put another view of Lorien (or any agency).

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Funny this was posted on the main site today...

from CUK Reader Awards: IT contracting in 2011 :: Contractor UK

Funny old world hey
                      Just goes to show that any idiot can win a CUK award
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X