• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the current London IT Contract Market?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State of the current London IT Contract Market?

Im in a permanent position , considering leaving and going back into contracting.

How are you finding the state of the current IT contract market especially SQL Server?

I've been looking at the job boards and it looks quiet.

Hopefully its the time of year running up to xmas..and theres hope for the New Year?

The build up to Christmas is always quiet. However I don't think the contract market is in the best state at the moment, you might want to stay in your permie job for a little while longer.

Comment

Banks are cutting rates across the board - not a great sign.

Comment

Stay permie, I don't need any more competition.

Very quiet I'm afraid.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Weegee View Post
          Im in a permanent position , considering leaving and going back into contracting.

How are you finding the state of the current IT contract market especially SQL Server?

I've been looking at the job boards and it looks quiet.

Hopefully its the time of year running up to xmas..and theres hope for the New Year?
          Sure, jump in, fill your boots. Plenty going around for all.

Comment

Originally posted by Warren View Post
            The build up to Christmas is always quiet. However I don't think the contract market is in the best state at the moment, you might want to stay in your permie job for a little while longer.
            Mmm this is what I was suspecting!!

My perm job could be under threat of redundancy.

So it might be an idea to get another perm job just for a year or until the contract market really recovers.

Comment

I have three interviews lined up for next week, two at IBs (neither have announced rate cuts yet as far as I know) and 1 at a gas company all offering £100 more per day and all starting at the beginning of the new year (under contract until 31st Dec).

As always I think it depends on your skill set.
              Last edited by Mister Clark; 24 November 2011, 11:27. Reason: I cannot speel

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Clark View Post
                I have three interviews lined up for next week, two at IBs (neither have announced rate cuts yet as far as I know) and 1 at a gas company all offering £100 more per day and all starting at the beginning of the new year (under contract until 31st Dec).

As always I think it depends on your skill set.
                What IB's are they ? They might not have annouced it but I would guess they would have factored the current rate reductions at other banks into it.

Anyway its the worse I've seen it, hope things pick up in Jan with new budgets.
                Last edited by Bumfluff; 24 November 2011, 11:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
                  What IB's are they ? They might not have annouced it but I would guess they would have factored the current rate reductions at other banks into it. I know for a fact the agents / clients have a rate card which is the recommended rate for x role across the city.
                  DB and BoA.

Probably a different thread but I'm at a gas/oil company at the mo and I know the project is likely to go until the end of 2012 and that they would require someone to fill my boots if I did leave.

I would prefer to stay where I am but the extra £100 a day at the banks is temping - however they are both 6 months in duration and of course you have the worry of rate cuts/contract getting cut short.

Current client will not increase rate but I’m confident I can get another 12 months out of it plus it’s a nice place to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Clark View Post
                    DB and BoA.

Probably a different thread but I'm at a gas/oil company at the mo and I know the project is likely to go until the end of 2012 and that they would require someone to fill my boots if I did leave.

I would prefer to stay where I am but the extra £100 a day at the banks is temping - however they are both 6 months in duration and of course you have the worry of rate cuts/contract getting cut short.

Current client will not increase rate but I’m confident I can get another 12 months out of it plus it’s a nice place to work.
                    My agent tells me a BAML cut is happening imminently. It's just heresay of course, but he's been correct on the others. The list as far as I am aware that have cut a min. of 10% so far is BarCap, BNPP, RBS, Nomura, Citi, UBS, LLoyds, CS, JPM, HSBC, Credit Ag. Not heard anything about DB. But as you say, if you join an IB that hasn't cut yet you run the risk of a cut on arrival. It's all very depressing!!

Comment

Working...
                    X