• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opt out of Conduct of employment agencies 2003 act?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    ...You have got to remember that the PCG fought long and hard to get this opt out and sadly it appears that for all the good work the PCG have done over the years, they have shot themselves in the foot with this one....
    The near 50% of members who don't use agencies and/or have their own staff or subbies and who asked for the opt out may not agree with you on that one. Primarily, the opt out wasn't negotiated to benefit individual contractors
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      The near 50% of members who don't use agencies and/or have their own staff or subbies and who asked for the opt out may not agree with you on that one.
      Uh huh, but if this 50% of PCG members don't use an agency and don't act as an employment business (and subbing work out doesn't make a contractor an employment business) then the agency conduct regulations don't apply to them in any way shape or form so the presence or absence of an opt out provision has no relevance to this 50% whatsoever.

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Primarily, the opt out wasn't negotiated to benefit individual contractors
      I agree - the only party I've ever seen an opt out benefit is the agency, there is no value to a contractor or a client.
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

I agree - the only party I've ever seen an opt out benefit is the agency, there is no value to a contractor or a client.
        And solicitors who have to re-write dodgy contracts due to the additional clauses from the opt-out.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Uh huh, but if this 50% of PCG members don't use an agency and don't act as an employment business (and subbing work out doesn't make a contractor an employment business) then the agency conduct regulations don't apply to them in any way shape or form so the presence or absence of an opt out provision has no relevance to this 50% whatsoever.
          Except without the opt out they would have been in scope since the regs would then apply to any supplied worker...
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            And solicitors who have to re-write dodgy contracts due to the additional clauses from the opt-out.
            Solicitors, accountants and agencies...

... the PCG's natural constituency, in fact.

Boo

Comment

Just an update on the hassle I had with the agency (rhymes with Dan derson) over the conduct regs as I have ended the contract early. They have been the worst pimp I have worked with. It took a while to get a copy of the contract back from them as I suspect they didn't want me to have it until after I'd been with client more than one calendar month as I would have had to have given four weeks notice! WTF! And they said the opt out contract was IR35 friendly! Four weeks' notice is like a permy. Thankfully I could give 1 week notice and walk away.

Won't be using them again in a hurry. I could have pushed them more to provide me an IR35 friendly Opt In contract but I doubt they would have budged, everything in the contract was nailed down to be basically in favour of the agent. Lesson learnt here I feel.

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

TAX

An agent told me that not opting out would mean I am indicating I wish to be treated as an employee and therefor would be required to pay a higher rate of TAX. How can this be true?

Comment

Originally posted by gman81 View Post
                  An agent told me that not opting out would mean I am indicating I wish to be treated as an employee and therefor would be required to pay a higher rate of TAX. How can this be true?
                  It isn't true, I don't have it to hand but if you google opt in you'll find the rules that you can wave under the Agent's nose.

Which may not get you the contract, but you would be legally correct.

Who is the agency telling you this?
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                    Just an update on the hassle I had with the agency (rhymes with Dan derson) over the conduct regs as I have ended the contract early. They have been the worst pimp I have worked with. It took a while to get a copy of the contract back from them as I suspect they didn't want me to have it until after I'd been with client more than one calendar month as I would have had to have given four weeks notice! WTF! And they said the opt out contract was IR35 friendly! Four weeks' notice is like a permy. Thankfully I could give 1 week notice and walk away.

Won't be using them again in a hurry. I could have pushed them more to provide me an IR35 friendly Opt In contract but I doubt they would have budged, everything in the contract was nailed down to be basically in favour of the agent. Lesson learnt here I feel.

qh
                    Sorry to hear your pain but can I just point out that four weeks is no relation to a permie. The same with paying yourself your dividend monthly is like a permie. 4 weeks is used in permie land (so is one week and so is 3 months) because it is a nice clean calendar month, this does not mean we can not use it in contracting. We can also have a clean month and still be nothing like a permie.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                      It isn't true, I don't have it to hand but if you google opt in you'll find the rules that you can wave under the Agent's nose.

Which may not get you the contract, but you would be legally correct.

Who is the agency telling you this?
                      Am I correct in that opting in or out of the agency regs does not affect the invoicing/payment/tax process at all?

Comment

Working...
                      X