• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Start work without receiving written contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Start work without receiving written contract?

Hi all

I'm new to contracting and have been asked to start work for a client on Monday. Should I insist on having a copy of the contract prior to starting work?

Originally posted by sonu
    Hi all

I'm new to contracting and have been asked to start work for a client on Monday. Should I insist on having a copy of the contract prior to starting work?
    Yes. Don't leave home without it.

You can choose to ignore this advice if you wish and no doubt 90% of cats never have a problem, but if you are in the 10% who do, you are stuffed.

tim

Comment

"A verbal contract is worth the paper it is not written on."
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
        Yes. Don't leave home without it.

You can choose to ignore this advice if you wish and no doubt 90% of cats never have a problem, but if you are in the 10% who do, you are stuffed.

tim
        And if you've got things like Professional Indemnity Insurance they are usually invalidated if you are working without cover of a contract as essentially you are only onsite as a visitor and not a contractor.

Also how likely is it that people will pull their finger out and get a contract to you if you've already started? Your bargaining position will have gone

Comment

Originally posted by boredsenseless
          And if you've got things like Professional Indemnity Insurance they are usually invalidated if you are working without cover of a contract as essentially you are only onsite as a visitor and not a contractor.

Also how likely is it that people will pull their finger out and get a contract to you if you've already started? Your bargaining position will have gone
          If the contract is not prepared yet then you would be silly to turn down the role or delay it in case the rug is pulled out from under you.

Write to the agency and state that you are willing to start on site Monday pending the contract being sent and subject to terms and conditions agreed and signed off. Give them until the end of the week for complete turnaround. If it's not, then tell the client to intervene by Wednesday and if they won't walk. Make sure that you keep your security pass and proof that you were on site and try and get your timesheet signed off. That way they will still have to pay you on the basis that you were on site based on a temporary verbal agreement pending contracts signed.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback so far. Any other advice would be much appreciated

Have received this yesterday by email from the agent:

'They are looking for you to start on Monday,initially for 3 months,at the agreed rate of * per day.I will get the contract to you asap.The contract will show Limited Company name - To be advised.As soon as you have this secured let me have the name and we will re-issue the contracts with the correct company name on them.You will not be able to invoice us until we have your limited company details.'

Feeling a bit nervous as it's my 1st contract.

Comment

'They are looking for you to start on Monday,initially for 3 months,at the agreed rate of * per day.I will get the contract to you asap.The contract will show Limited Company name - To be advised.As soon as you have this secured let me have the name and we will re-issue the contracts with the correct company name on them.You will not be able to invoice us until we have your limited company details.'

I wouldn't worry too much. Sometimes these things can take a bit of time. I've also started roles but not got the contract signed and sent back before starting. Now that the agency have written to you spelling out what they intend to do, then I think you have little to worry about. I would still write that e-mail to them in the way I phrased it though. That way, if the terms they send you are unsatisfactory and need altering in some way then you are free to change them. If you don't write ' pending contract terms agreed' then you effectively agreeing the terms already set out without seeing them and that's what you've agreed to sign up to.

Comment

Can you tell us who the agency is? There are some agents I wouldn't entertain this arrangement with, but some I might.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
                  Can you tell us who the agency is? There are some agents I wouldn't entertain this arrangement with, but some I might.
                  Good point. I would say Abraxas and Hudson are OK for this kind of problem, but maybe not some others. Don't trust Harvey Nash whatever you do.

Comment

You do have a contract...

If it does goe tits up for any reason then that email communication will probably prove binding.

Comment

Working...
                    X