• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Michael Page

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael Page

Hi

I have been put forward for a role via Michael Page, however I have been asked before the telephone interview to attend there offices and provide copies of passport and other personal data such as exam certs, industry certs etc. I have never been asked by an agency to go in before, let alone provide a mountain of private information that the employer needs but why the agency. Red flags have gone up so wondering what others thought ? I am in the general IT Consultancy area (its not finance which I would understand but retail)

Thanks

They are doing their job, i.e. vetting candidates to make sure they are allowed to work here (a legal requirement these days) and they aren't lying on their CV. You would be amazed how many people just make stuff up.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2003/20033319.htm

sections 19 (what they have to check) and 32 (which says it applies to limited company contractors as well) are the relevant parts.
    Last edited by doodab; 11 June 2010, 11:06.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Search for the word passports. Been asked million times on here.

Certs to check you have what you say - common sense
      Passport to check your eligible to work in uk - requirement for companies to check now.

Simples
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

WHS

Plus they have to see the original copy of the passport so sending them a fax or photocopy won't do.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Of course the regulations (linked above) don't actually stipulate "passport": they just say the agency needs to satisfy itself of the work-seeker's identity.

Comment

Just had the forms from Michael Page. They require 2 references up front, and although they say they will not contact unless agreed, it then says in standard terms and conditions that they may contact them at any time as part of you signing this agreement. They also want NI number, personal emergency contact information etc. This is way too much data to give out. Not had a single other agency do this!

Comment

Originally posted by woodyuk View Post
              This is way too much data to give out. Not had a single other agency do this!
              Which means all the other agencies you have gone through have been breaking the law. Because you are new to MP, they have to do background checks on you. Contrary to poular belief they are being very professional and above board. You can bet your bottom dollar that their client has a contract with them stipulating this as a requirement.
              Every last contract of mine in the past 4 years has required all this, apart from which they want to eyeball you and, heaven knows, build a relationship with you?? Purely professional, of course.
              It's the way I work with MP - my guy gives me a call every so often to see if I'm interested in other opportunities he gets in.

Comment

Most of the time this is bollox, never had to attend the office, rarely met any of the agents. These are almost allways thinly disguised fishing attempts.
                Exception being for higher end mgmt or interim roles where they have a roster of candidates and might add you to it.
                I went to one of these a long time ago, some gimp tried to tell me about the market and that I should really go permanent, I really wouldn't waste my time unless you are certain there is a role attached.

Comment

Originally posted by woodyuk View Post
                  Hi

I have been put forward for a role via Michael Page, however I have been asked before the telephone interview to attend there offices and provide copies of passport and other personal data such as exam certs, industry certs etc. I have never been asked by an agency to go in before, let alone provide a mountain of private information that the employer needs but why the agency. Red flags have gone up so wondering what others thought ? I am in the general IT Consultancy area (its not finance which I would understand but retail)

Thanks
                  I used to work for Michael Page and it's standard practice to invite candidates in to check their right to work in the uk (a legal requirement) and to ensure the candidate is right for their client. I must say that they are a very professional organisation and wouldn't normally be meeting with you to "fish" as in all honesty, "fishing" can be done over the phone.

I would recommend you attend as it's easier to sell candidates into a role when you have met them personally and sometimes it's part of the service that the client requires face to face pre screenings.

Comment

The client probably told them that they want them to treat all candidates in this way.

Pimps do what the client wants.

One advantage of meeting them is that even if the client doesn't end up liking you and they do, if they have other clients who they can match you with they will.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X