• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving to Germany. Who to inform, P85?, NHS?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you direct with the German client or through an agent? If through an agent, where are they located?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Germany

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Are you direct with the German client or through an agent? If through an agent, where are they located?
      Through the German office of a British Agency.

Comment

anyone

anyone??

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Microsoft View Post
          anyone??
          There is a forum called Toytown which is a German expats forum. Google it. There is probably more info on there.

Like with this forum you should be able to search it via Google.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Microsoft View Post
            anyone??
            If not a visitor or tourist enjoying EU freedom of movement then you legally HAVE to register your presence in Germany with the authorities.

That's when they get their fingers into you. Remember being an EU citizen doesn't mean you can wander about willy-nilly, you have to abide by local laws and that means registering your presence, regstering for tax/social security etc.

Comment

If you are working in Germany, but are being paid to your UK limited company in €. Do you then charge VAT? The German VAT is 19%.

Comment

Originally posted by neddorsey View Post
                If you are working in Germany, but are being paid to your UK limited company in €. Do you then charge VAT? The German VAT is 19%.
                Please read the post above.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Contracting In Germany

I have been in Munich for 2 years on a Contract, I am there via a UK agency with a satellite office in Berlin, as i left the UK a long time ago I run a limited company out of Poland (19% tax) the Agency pay me to my limited company, There are different views about being paid into a non German Company by many UK agencies whom try and sell you an umbrella solution however from what I was told by the German tax authorities is that as long as my Limited company has other customers other than my client in Germany I can officially use this company without the need to register under the German laws.

I do however need private medical insurance the NHS EHIC card will not cover all medical expenses.

Comment

Hey guys, revisiting an old thread not to create yet another topic about Germany.
                    Tried reviewing the existing threads and it looks like most of the people have questions/answers regarding contracting for a German client, but I have the opposite situation.
                    My OH and I are moving to Berlin later on this year. I'm contracting through my UK Ltd for a UK client, and I'm planning to continue doing that for at least the first 6m I'm there (remote).
                    I don't want any trouble with German authorities, so want to do everything according to the book (so will register as a German tax resident from day 1).

1. So far I contacted a tax lawyer in DE and she said it's possible to continue paying myself UK dividends and pay German dividend tax (25% + solidarity). I've also read that since I won't qualify for any tax-free allowance, it would make sense to actually pay everything as salary, instead of the usual min. salary + dividends (salaries are expenses, so won't pay corp tax on those), but then I would need to pay all income taxes + social etc. etc. as a regular employee?
                    2. If I simply continue paying myself dividends, do I need to register as Freiberufler and essentially hire myself? What will be my status in Germany - Freiberufler? Enterpreneur? Unemployed?
                    3. Someone mentioned that if I'm the owner of the company and effectively the company is being operated from Germany, even if it is registered in the UK, I'll need to pay German corp taxes? Is that true?

Do you guys know what would be the best way to organize that? Is it all worth it? Maybe I should just register as a Freiberufler and invoice my UK clients as that entity (client wouldn't mind, they are my close friends)?

P.S. gonna post a similar question over at ToyTownGermany forum once they approve my registration

Comment

Originally posted by timurso View Post
                      Hey guys, revisiting an old thread not to create yet another topic about Germany.
                      Tried reviewing the existing threads and it looks like most of the people have questions/answers regarding contracting for a German client, but I have the opposite situation.
                      My OH and I are moving to Berlin later on this year. I'm contracting through my UK Ltd for a UK client, and I'm planning to continue doing that for at least the first 6m I'm there (remote).
                      I don't want any trouble with German authorities, so want to do everything according to the book (so will register as a German tax resident from day 1).

1. So far I contacted a tax lawyer in DE and she said it's possible to continue paying myself UK dividends and pay German dividend tax (25% + solidarity). I've also read that since I won't qualify for any tax-free allowance, it would make sense to actually pay everything as salary, instead of the usual min. salary + dividends (salaries are expenses, so won't pay corp tax on those), but then I would need to pay all income taxes + social etc. etc. as a regular employee?
                      2. If I simply continue paying myself dividends, do I need to register as Freiberufler and essentially hire myself? What will be my status in Germany - Freiberufler? Enterpreneur? Unemployed?
                      3. Someone mentioned that if I'm the owner of the company and effectively the company is being operated from Germany, even if it is registered in the UK, I'll need to pay German corp taxes? Is that true?

Do you guys know what would be the best way to organize that? Is it all worth it? Maybe I should just register as a Freiberufler and invoice my UK clients as that entity (client wouldn't mind, they are my close friends)?

P.S. gonna post a similar question over at ToyTownGermany forum once they approve my registration
                      Lets put it this way if you were to invoice a German client via your Ltd and then pay yourself dividends taxed at 25% you'd have the local tax office down on you like a ton of bricks. I could imagine that you might get away with it for a while if this is a UK client as they won't be auditing the client. The only thing that would be visible would be the dividends from the company.

My advice however would be to set yourself up as a Freiberufler as you suggest, in which case you don't pay Social Insurance, which saves you a lot of money and invoice them directly. This would be then make everything definitely legal rather than possibly legal and you would have no problems with the tax office. If you were to work indefinitely paying only 25% tax, at some point you may be flagged up as suspicious and the tax office might sniff around and make your life hell.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X